Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
slapon slapon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Yeah... Ummm... title it "Two girls using a Slapon".

Before you even mentioned it, I tried a Google image search for your product.
I held my breath and peeked through my fingers half expecting to see something else show up.



Folks need to consider all of the possible "negative" associations with names they come up with before they say "Hey, that sounds GREAT!"
That is true. I'll try to keep in mind to keep my future promotions out of the "gutter", but you also can't argue the success "Go Daddy" has had.

You'll see on my web page, www.slapon.net, why I chose Slap-on, but I was also aware of the inferences people could make toward the name at the time I chose it. I needed something that could succinctly convey the advantage of the attachment and be easy to remember. I don't believe it hurts the product's image by the other connotations people have for the word. It might actually work in its favor and help people remember the product's name.

Thanks for participating in the conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
You'll see on my web page, www.slapon.net, why I chose Slap-on,
All I see on your page is a red screen. What's supposed to be there?
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
slapon slapon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
All I see on your page is a red screen. What's supposed to be there?
Richard,

I'm sorry, but my site is based on Adobe flash, so some people may just see a red screen if they don't have the most recent Adobe reader or if they're working from a Mac computer. One of the first things I need to change when I revamp the website is to get it off of Adobe so everyone can see it.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
So you are saying he is seeing the Slap Off website
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM
slapon slapon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
So you are saying he is seeing the Slap Off website
That could be it. It is one big drawback I wish I had known before making a decision to base my website on Adobe flash. A full red screen is a pretty color though.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
That could be it. It is one big drawback I wish I had known before making a decision to base my website on Adobe flash. A full red screen is a pretty color though.
Flash has a ton of drawbacks including poor indexing by web crawler. You may want a non-flash version of the site.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 PM
slapon slapon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Flash has a ton of drawbacks including poor indexing by web crawler. You may want a non-flash version of the site.
Well, that explans another issue I've had. Tons of crawlers and no results in my web page getting any preferential treatment with searches. I'm getting off of flash as soon as I can. Everything takes time though
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
Well, that explans another issue I've had. Tons of crawlers and no results in my web page getting any preferential treatment with searches. I'm getting off of flash as soon as I can. Everything takes time though
How do the search engine know that your site is there? I have 13,000 some odd posts here and every one of them has my link to my lawn service website. Lawnsite is indexed by the big engines every few hours. And every few hours they're seeing my web site being linked. I've never formally turned my website's address into any search engines and yet they all know it's there.

People didn't really think that I posted that link for Lawnsite's users reference did they?
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
slapon slapon is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
How do the search engine know that your site is there? I have 13,000 some odd posts here and every one of them has my link to my lawn service website. Lawnsite is indexed by the big engines every few hours. And every few hours they're seeing my web site being linked. I've never formally turned my website's address into any search engines and yet they all know it's there.

People didn't really think that I posted that link for Lawnsite's users reference did they?
At least I can bring up your web site. Sorry for your difficulty bringing up mine. Your site looks good, by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
Well, that explans another issue I've had. Tons of crawlers and no results in my web page getting any preferential treatment with searches. I'm getting off of flash as soon as I can. Everything takes time though
If you can not develop one quickly, just get a HTML template up asap.

you can get those cheap.

You can keep the flash site for now... just change your home page over for now, then work on it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.07478 seconds with 8 queries