Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wheel loader cycle times

We have a job comming up that is out of our normal. Basic jist of it is loading out 230 yards of spoils mixture of dirt and gravel. We will be hauling out in semi end dumps. Cooridnating truck will not be a problem so we should not hardly have any down time waiting on trucks. We are considering renting a 444k JD wheel loader to get the loading done. Considering this becasue of the speed and the loading height. I have no experience bidding a job with a wheel loader. Questions is with one wheel loader what can I expect to be able to load an hour?? The pile will be right next to trucks.

Next question the area we are excavating is approximatley 15,500 sq ft about 4" deep. If I send my two skids in the day before will the wheel loader be able to keep up with them or will they be able to keep up with the wheel loader. Excavation will be right next to pile. I know what my skids are capable of but lost on the wheel loader lol?? I know alot of this is dependent on operators but anybody have an opinion on this or a better idea I am not thinking of??
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say go bigger on the loader, more like 624/644 size. I would think with an okay operator you could keep up, how many trucks and what would be the load cycle times?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
We have a job comming up that is out of our normal. Basic jist of it is loading out 230 yards of spoils mixture of dirt and gravel. We will be hauling out in semi end dumps. Cooridnating truck will not be a problem so we should not hardly have any down time waiting on trucks. We are considering renting a 444k JD wheel loader to get the loading done. Considering this becasue of the speed and the loading height. I have no experience bidding a job with a wheel loader. Questions is with one wheel loader what can I expect to be able to load an hour?? The pile will be right next to trucks.

Next question the area we are excavating is approximatley 15,500 sq ft about 4" deep. If I send my two skids in the day before will the wheel loader be able to keep up with them or will they be able to keep up with the wheel loader. Excavation will be right next to pile. I know what my skids are capable of but lost on the wheel loader lol?? I know alot of this is dependent on operators but anybody have an opinion on this or a better idea I am not thinking of??

you think thats enough dirt to even justify a wheel loader? I mean its only going to be 15 quad loads of dirt.

why not just load it with your skid steers? build a little 2' ramp and go to town. wouldn't take long at all with 2 loading from each side of the truck.

seems like a waste of money to rent a loader to load 15 loads of dirt but thats just me

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
you think thats enough dirt to even justify a wheel loader? I mean its only going to be 15 quad loads of dirt.

why not just load it with your skid steers? build a little 2' ramp and go to town. wouldn't take long at all with 2 loading from each side of the truck.

seems like a waste of money to rent a loader to load 15 loads of dirt but thats just me
I thought about just building a ramp. We are using end dumps because that is what we have. I was planning on having 2 end dumps there with about a 30 min round trip haul time. As s**ty as farming is going this year if we had to put a third on it, that would not be an issue.

Have you loaded your quad with your skid, how much of a nightmare is it?? I will have a t300 and a case 85xt on site. Last time we loaded a tri axle it was a nightmare, however we did not have a ramp.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post

My thoughts exactly
Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If truck sides are built up like around here you will want a ramp with a 444, when i know Iam production loading with my 721 i like a small ramp.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
I thought about just building a ramp. We are using end dumps because that is what we have. I was planning on having 2 end dumps there with about a 30 min round trip haul time. As s**ty as farming is going this year if we had to put a third on it, that would not be an issue.

Have you loaded your quad with your skid, how much of a nightmare is it?? I will have a t300 and a case 85xt on site. Last time we loaded a tri axle it was a nightmare, however we did not have a ramp.
takes about 5 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMIYsTmZGGc

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

No thanks loading dump trailers with a 444. Go bigger.
MCLP #1535
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't justify rental a loader like Chris said. Maybe if you had to load 1000 yards or more I would get a 721 or 821 Case if it were me.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Wall Structures View Post
Couldn't justify rental a loader like Chris said. Maybe if you had to load 1000 yards or more I would get a 721 or 821 Case if it were me.
Roger that, have loaded plenty of triaxles with my s250, i feel like i could probably blow out that whole pile in a day