Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Killed Crabgrass now what??

Used Drivexlr8 to kill crabgrass, now what to know what are best steps to take to reseed.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, this time of year it will probably try to come back again. What are you trying to grow, where do you live, soil or environmental conditions. Need some more info
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Conover, North Carolina. Want to grow tall fescue. Not much shade area. Crab grass took over past year, we sprayed Super Trimec and Drivexl8 to get rid of most of crabgrass and weeds. We didn't use a pre-emergent this year and I believe that was big mistake.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not using a pre-emergent was a real good thing, you probably wouldn't be growing anything in that area if you had. The best time to sow a cool season grass seed in your area is September 1. If anything else comes up in that area in the next 3 week's just hit it with 2% round up. You can seed 3 day's later. If you want to do this right i will help you.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Not using a pre-emergent was a real good thing, you probably wouldn't be growing anything in that area if you had. The best time to sow a cool season grass seed in your area is September 1. If anything else comes up in that area in the next 3 week's just hit it with 2% round up. You can seed 3 day's later. If you want to do this right i will help you.
This...

Seed in the fall...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Thanks, what is your preference of grass seed? Lesco transition is what we have used in past but I was maybe thinking of Rebel. Also would prosecutor work instead of Roundup and still be able to seed?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like rebel more than the transition blend. Seed bare ground at 6 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. Prosecutor is just lesco's version of roundup, it's the same thing, you can seed the same way, it's just cheaper.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have just did my final spray with Prosecutor and was looking for grass seed. I am unable to find Rebel IV and only see The Rebels. Is there another place I can look to find Rebel IV or is there a different brand to go with? Also I did a soil test and it says to use 21-0-0 fertilizer, do you know where I can find this? Our local JDL doesn't carry it.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The rebel's is fine, i think that is just a mix of rebel's 3-4. What's on the shelf now is what the seed farm's produced this year, they just didn't have enough 4 to bag that separately. The difference between the two grass's is on a genetic level, you will never notice. I buy rebel at lowe's, 2.00 a Lb., you can't find it any cheaper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319513-303-1...sales_dollar|1

21-0-0 is just straight nitrogen, it's very common. You probably want to use 18-24-12 starter fertilizer for new grass, it is available at JDL.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your help. I plan to aerate and spray cross check for ants this week. How long do I need to wait after I spray to reseed and fertilize?