Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I smoke a little upon restart, if I've been shut down hot.....without the proper cool down period. Doc says it's a valve guide.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
I allow my guy to smoke in the truck between lawns (never at a property) but I would love to go to non smoking completely. I think GMLC is right on. Blunt, concise communication before hiring but it still seems difficult to find guys in this field who don't smoke.
That's true, but if it's company policy, make sure it's in the handbook and the same for everybody.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
That's true, but if it's company policy, make sure it's in the handbook and the same for everybody.
Good point. I'll probably make the change to policy over the winter before hiring more guys and just tell the guy I have working right now that will be a requirement if he would like to continue working next spring.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

unfortunately im a smoker....therefore i dont feel right about telling my employees they cant smoke on the job....however, not on the customers property....in between jobs is fine, while on lunch break or any other time they are not on a clients property.....if i catch them breaking the smoking rule they will be let go...no exceptions!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO it is trashy as hell to smoke, in the company trucks, on the jobsite, w/e. There's a guy that mows 2 passes along a boulevard in a new development that's 1/2 mile from where I live that has not been filled with houses yet & the last time he mowed it, I saw him sitting on his mower, cig in mouth, no ear protection, fat with a gut hanging out and scrubby beard and a rusty truck to top it off. It's morons like that, that make me wonder. It's too bad that too many people care about price only otherwise sh!theads like that wouldn't have any work.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't smoke,so your saying if you smoke you can't do a good job?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm saying that you look like an idiot smoking on the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Mind if I Butt in ?

Smoked for several years up until 3 months ago , and I would smoke while riding the mower but was very discreet about it for I was actually Embarresed
To be Smoking on a non smokers property anyway , I traded em for E Cigs for now , My best helper on my Pressure washing side of my business smokes
and he knows to keep it to a dull roar and not in front of Customers anyway .

I would not ask him to quit or lose his job ever he is to good of worker
I am sure we would all like to have good 100 % squared away Pat Boone types of people working for
Us but face it we are cutting grass not doing Dental work and everyone is entitled to a break .

Getting someone that can work as hard as the boss is tough enough
Let alone not even giving them a chance to prove themselves and condem them for doing something totally legal is a bit much IMO
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, I'd have to fire all but 1 employee if I put on a smoking ban.

I dont think smoking is trashy, but littering cig butts is trashy and smoking in the presence of a customer is trashy. If its done respectfully, you would really pass up a great employee just over a habit? All of my guys put their cig butts in the rear pocket and throw them away when they get near a trash can. If the customer's windows are open, dont smoke near them nor if they are out in the yard.

Hell, make a tattoo ban and not allow employees to work that have showing tattoos. No ripped jeans ban. Hat always worn forwards law.

Anyone can have opinions on what they think is trashy. Maybe you guys dont have as high of standards for employees but smoking is probably the last thing I'd fire someone for.

And to be honest, I'm an owner of a 30+ year old business that my dad previously owned. I asked him if he's ever had a complaint about it from a customer and he couldnt recall.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't smoke, never have, and as a person who's father died at the age of 56 from a heart attack which was more than likely caused from being a heavy smoker, I personally wish everywhere and everyone was smoke free.

That said, if I had employees, which I don't, I would more than likely ask them to not smoke while actually on a customer's property, but I'm not sure it would be realistic to tell them no smoking at all, my reasoning being most would simply sneak a smoke now and then anyway. Smoking in the vehicle might be the biggest issue, because I hate to smell smoke when I climb in a truck.