Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag belt walkbehind has to be pushed

48 Scag belt walkbehind has a problem when in gear. It will move once in gear but stops suddenly & has to be pushed to start again. Especially up hills, using a sulky or any terrain where is has climb.

I tightened the tensioner under the deck cover taunt but not overtightened. The belts looks ok will be due for new ones by the end of the season.

This is a new problem that recently started to occur. Prior it ran like a champ. Also, I was going to lube the multiple locations not sure if this would help or not.

Also, It has a Peerless 5 spd tranny with reverse. Any suggestions would be helpful?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive had the same problem especially when grass is damp. Please let me know what u did to fix this problem.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A belt is slipping somewhere. It's either on the jackshaft pulley (most likely) or the engine/trans belt. Usually adjustments for the belts will make it not slip. Sometimes the belts are so stretched they can't get enough tension on them.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny you mentioned jackshaft pulley because I recently had some issues with the jackshaft itself. Repaired that problem with the jackshaft to now have this one. Awwee it's killing because although my scag is older it runs like a champ.

I don't have any issues with damp grass & it clogging under the deck. She shoots out everything she eats. I try to cut mostly when dry or just a little dew is present.

Ok the two belt adjustments are:

1. Under the engine deck between the two belts is one adjustment. Snug with a slight give?
2. The belts of the of the jackshafts ...aren't they self-adjusting?
3. Where is the engine/trans belt?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache View Post
Funny you mentioned jackshaft pulley because I recently had some issues with the jackshaft itself. Repaired that problem with the jackshaft to now have this one. Awwee it's killing because although my scag is older it runs like a champ.

I don't have any issues with damp grass & it clogging under the deck. She shoots out everything she eats. I try to cut mostly when dry or just a little dew is present.

Ok the two belt adjustments are:

1. Under the engine deck between the two belts is one adjustment. Snug with a slight give?
2. The belts of the of the jackshafts ...aren't they self-adjusting?If you pull up a Scag manual from their website it will go through how to adjust them. Basically their is threaded rods that can be adjusted from the pistol grips to the belts and also the brake portion. Also the tension spring could be bad but most likely the belts are stretched too much.
3. Where is the engine/trans belt?It is the belt from the engine to the peerless transmission. Should have a idler pulley to adjust.
Read the manual and look at the mower. Look at how the belts run and it should make sense.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

It's been raining here all weekend so far. I did go ahead & print out the manual & adjust it in the week.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Update:
I figured out the problem & fixed it. I reviewed the manual & figured out how to adjust the belts. My main issue was the drive belt that gives power to the wheels was loose & going bad. After tighten it up, it actually popped after 5 mins of cutting. That was fine because I was merely trying to check if that was the problem. After taking examining the broken belt; there were chunks of missing sections on it.

The new belt was pretty self-explanatory to change. You need a 9/16” wrench & deep socket as well. You also have to remove a bracket & long belt that extends to the deck. Now she runs like new; impressed the heck out of me. I ran 3rd/4th gear cutting 1 ½ acres with no problems. Wish I had more to cut that day.

Thanks all who provided suggestions.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache View Post
Update:
I figured out the problem & fixed it. I reviewed the manual & figured out how to adjust the belts. My main issue was the drive belt that gives power to the wheels was loose & going bad. After tighten it up, it actually popped after 5 mins of cutting. That was fine because I was merely trying to check if that was the problem. After taking examining the broken belt; there were chunks of missing sections on it.

The new belt was pretty self-explanatory to change. You need a 9/16” wrench & deep socket as well. You also have to remove a bracket & long belt that extends to the deck. Now she runs like new; impressed the heck out of me. I ran 3rd/4th gear cutting 1 ½ acres with no problems. Wish I had more to cut that day.

Thanks all who provided suggestions.
Wish I woulda seen this post before you bought those belts. The belts at the Scag dealer here are $75 and I have a local place to get belts and they ship too. My drive belts for my walk behind were $ 16 each. Its the same belt Scag rips us off for.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

i have the same problem but my jackshafts stop turning under resistance. could that b an adj. also?

Tags
belts , peerless , transmission