Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
Once again maybe I am wrong but after checking with retired lawn maint for general labor not labor intensive work like mulching 30-35 an hour. He had no employees just licensed and insured. It ended up being less work than I initially quoted so I ended up making 100 per hour she just wanted the one bed done but I mis understood her for all 3. One hours work and I ended up being done. When I do mulch pea gravel ect ill will jump to 60 but I havent gone higher than that though
Posted via Mobile Device
There is no way, I dont live in hudson valley. However I played hockey for a year in elmira newyork and the taxs, and prices up there are rediculos. You deffinatly need to raise those prices.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes you'll run across a client who realizes you're screwing yourself because you don't know any better yet.

I had a few people pay me more than I asked for during my first season.
Looking back later, I realized that even with the extra money they paid, the price was still lower than what most others would have charged.

Live and learn and be thankful for awesome clients.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Give it a few years and you will always wonder why you only charged $25 an hour. Thats if you even make it a few years with those low prices.

There was nothing worse then going to give a bid when i was younger and being scared to tell them the price because i really wanted the job, Only for them to say "yes do it" before i even finished telling them the price. Thats' a dead give a way you charging too little when they don't even have to think about it.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Live and learn!! Take all this advice. I think we all have done this starting out.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Twenty-five dollars an hour is not bad wages for general labor, if there is no other overhead involved, especially for a young fellow. However, that is seldom the case as you have to figure all your fixed costs, plus any additional costs associated with the actual job into the equation. When you do so, you will discover the percentage of that $25 you actually get to spend is much less than you probably think.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ended up using 3 garbage bags, so I figured $2.00 is expenses. I dont have to pay to dump I live on the woods and have always dumped in there. I realize I dont have much over head, but next year that will change. This is what the job consisted of, the bed pictured and the one on the other side of the stairs. I over quoted my time, which was my mistake. And finished in just under an hour. I dont have a picture of the other bed but it was just as full of weeds as this one.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo