Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Student needing help!

Hey guys I'm new to the site and need some help. I am a senior college student and my last assignment is to build a business from the ground up. I have chosen to do a fertilizer and weed control service. Although I have had a small mow and blow operation for years I'm ignorant when it comes to the weed and feed faction of lawn care. I need to know every detail of the business from start to finish. So here are my first two questions:

1. Can you recommend any literature on fert. and weed control application and business management?

I would like to read up first before I just start throwing out random questions.

2. What are the typical services offered by this type of company? Just weed and feed or are other services generally offered?

Thanks a bunch guys. Looking forward to your responses
Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I cannot help answer your question but i would read and repost your questions in pesticides or fertilizer application forum
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDuck12 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the site and need some help. I am a senior college student and my last assignment is to build a business from the ground up. I have chosen to do a fertilizer and weed control service. Although I have had a small mow and blow operation for years I'm ignorant when it comes to the weed and feed faction of lawn care. I need to know every detail of the business from start to finish. So here are my first two questions:

1. Can you recommend any literature on fert. and weed control application and business management?

I would like to read up first before I just start throwing out random questions.

2. What are the typical services offered by this type of company? Just weed and feed or are other services generally offered?

Thanks a bunch guys. Looking forward to your responses
Any reason you didnt choose to write about something you are familiar with, ie a mow and blow business, as opposed to something you know nothing about? Professors just want to see if you incorporate all the business basics in the paper, they dont care what the business is.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Any reason you didnt choose to write about something you are familiar with, ie a mow and blow business, as opposed to something you know nothing about?
While I'm still in school I wanted to use this last semester to learn another side of the lawn care business. My future goals would include starting some sort of landscape management company. I want to have a well rounded view.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are a ton of trade magazines on turf management, most of which are accessed on the internet. The people who run this site have one too. It sounds to me like you are thinking more like a TrueGreen or a Scotts lawn service. You could learn a lot by looking at their franchise requirements. I imagine that franchising is a prime way to enter what is a rather narrow segment of the lawn care service market; moreover, in your business plan, you would want to explain why you are not going that way as a first decision point.