Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
i wish mine was at 1 gph, last i checked was 1.8. a tt with the cat diesel would be nice to try out
Posted via Mobile Device
You're gph is accurate, a 34 is a 999cc big block engine, all mower engines in this 61 cu. in. class burns around 1.8 gph, and it makes no difference the brand name. Before Kawasaki made the head design change to their 999cc engine, it was at about 2.3 gph, extremely fuel inefficient.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the Scags

I did alot of research before I bought my mowers and Scag was the one for me. I have a Cheetah 61 34 kohler Vride 48in 24 kawi and a 36 wb with the floating deck belt drive 16 vanguard. I buy things that last and preform and worry about the price later. I don't even know how my dealer is after the sale yet but it really won't matter because in 10 to 15 years I more than likely be buying another scag. My 34 kohler gets about 1.5 gph and the 24 kawi get 1.25 gph. Get the most Hp you can get when you buy one. Only you know what is going to work for you but scag needs to be on the list to try. Also I use a chain hoist to change blades and if you lower the deck all the way down and then raise the mower you can use a impact gun from the top of the spindle. And yes I had the back sheet metal come off on me once ( The wife). I think I'm gonna wire tie it. I have alot of ferns and pine trees to go around. Hope all this helps let us know what you choose.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading through all of the posts scag seems like the way to go! I stopped at the dealership today and will be picking up there demo TT with 10hrs on it for monday and a Cheetah on Tuesday. Ill let everyone know what i think!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

What kind of gph is everybody averaging when cutting weekly accounts not overgrown yards with the 29hp Kawasaki DFI? Id like to try that out over the thirsty big block Vanguard. Oh and on a 61" TT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
What kind of gph is everybody averaging when cutting weekly accounts not overgrown yards with the 29hp Kawasaki DFI? Id like to try that out over the thirsty big block Vanguard. Oh and on a 61" TT.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 35hp VG has ranged from 1.4 to 1.6 on weekly lawns. On overgrown stuff right around 2 gph. We demoed the Kawi efi probably been 3 years ago for a couple of days. It was getting 1.0 to 1.3 on weekly lawns and 1.5 to 1.8 on overgrown lawns. We avg 5 to 600 hrs per machine/yr. So with that being said the additional cost would be made up in fuel savings, but with the additional maintenance of the radiator screen needing blown off, and coolant to be watched with employees running it I decided to stick with the air cooled. Also the diesels we've demoed were too heavy for all the irrigated lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply and info LibertyFarm. I've had my 48" Tiger Cat three seasons now and business has really picked up for me to the point where I should really have a backup zero turn. I'm just now coming up on 500 hours so it would take quite a bit longer for the Kawasaki to pay itself off. I was quoted about 2k more for that engine over the Vanguard. You bring up a good point about maintenance as well. Atleast I have until next spring to pull the trigger. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the 31 Kawasaki on my cheetah and I mowed about 4 hours today. Really tall bahia and crabgrass, mixed with a little dallis. I filled up both tanks before and I was almost on E using the first tank at the end of the day. Was a little sad about that.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
I have the 31 Kawasaki on my cheetah and I mowed about 4 hours today. Really tall bahia and crabgrass, mixed with a little dallis. I filled up both tanks before and I was almost on E using the first tank at the end of the day. Was a little sad about that.
What size is each tank? 6 gallons a piece or so?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What size is each tank? 6 gallons a piece or so?
Posted via Mobile Device
7.5 a piece :/