Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

trying to get these pita tracks back on rc100

does anyone have any tips about getting the tracks back on a rc100? we had to replace the front and rear idlers on one side due to blown bearings. we got those back on and are trying to get the track back on but it is a bear! its current state is in place over the rear idler and on top of the drive motor but not on the front idler. the drive table is all the way forward and the pivot bolt is dropped in. my next attempt will be to pivot the drive table out completely 90* and try to get the track over the front first idler then get the drive table back under and walk the track on the rest of the way. we tried walking the track on as it sits but there is too much slack and it skips over the lugs. should i slide the drive table back now to put more tension on it? but then i dont think we would be able to stretch it over the front.

if someone could post the procedure they use id really appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Dumb question, but you do have the track tension rod loosened up correct? If so, this is how I did mine. It was only an RC-30, which is basically the same thing except tiny, but I got damn good at it, since it ran in a lot of sand pits.

First, make sure you've got it jacked up all the way around, where none of the undercarriage is touching the ground. I found the easiest way to do this was to jack off the torsion bars running across underneath, and then cribbing the machine up. From my experience, no weight can be on the torsion bars while you're trying to put it back together. Not sure how you've got yours though.

Next, take off both front boogie wheels on the side you're working on, this will give you enough slack to get the track completely on the drive motor cage and on the back boogie wheels. Once you've got that done, put the inside front boogie wheel back on, and smear grease on it. Slide the track up and onto it and push it as far over as you can, ie put the lugs all the way against the inside of that boogie wheel.

The next/last part is tricky if you've never done it, takes the perfect amount of touch and patients. A couple people with spud bars and spades make this go much smoother. Take the last boogie wheel, and smear grease on it as well as the inside of the track. Slide the wheel up on the axle enough to get the nut threaded on and get the wheel straight. Once that's done, pull the track over enough to have the wheel about half covered, and with spud bar(s) helping to force the track onto the wheel while you tighten the nut at the same time. This part is the royal PITA part, but once you do it the first time, it'll make perfect sense and it's pretty much a snap from then on.

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works
Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a video on YouTube, search for 277 track replacement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
does anyone have any tips about getting the tracks back on a rc100? we had to replace the front and rear idlers on one side due to blown bearings. we got those back on and are trying to get the track back on but it is a bear! its current state is in place over the rear idler and on top of the drive motor but not on the front idler. the drive table is all the way forward and the pivot bolt is dropped in. my next attempt will be to pivot the drive table out completely 90* and try to get the track over the front first idler then get the drive table back under and walk the track on the rest of the way. we tried walking the track on as it sits but there is too much slack and it skips over the lugs. should i slide the drive table back now to put more tension on it? but then i dont think we would be able to stretch it over the front.

if someone could post the procedure they use id really appreciate it!
On the one i use to have i found it easier to put the front over the idlers first then with a long pry bar slide it up over the squirrel cage. I tried putting the rear on first and could never get the front on.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have swung the drive motor tabo out right?

The table holding the drive motor can be rotated 90 degrees by butting a bolt in the hle at the rear of the table and turning it out. you may also need to turn the shims in the front and rear axles as well.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlHHvVepkRY

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ron: i had found that video when we were doing it but for some reason it wasnt playing right on the laptop in the garage. it kept chopping up and the audio was all messed up. I saw he was using an overhead crane to stretch/support the tracks though.

ausman: yea the drive table is swung out just like that picture, I havent tried getting it over both front and rear yet though. i wasnt sure i would be able to swing the table back under and stretch the tracks up at the same time. The shims are on the short side front and rear because we had brand new tracks installed last fall so no need to have the slack taken up by the shims yet. I will give it a try to get it over front and rear and then swing the table back under though.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we used a forklift to push it on 1 row of lugs at a time helps if the forklift has sideshift