Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 AM
lawns Etc's Avatar
lawns Etc lawns Etc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Elmer NJ
Posts: 2,271
Cut the driveway very neatly and replace the section that's cut out with nice cobblestone. That's what I usually do and customers are usually very happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Yeah in half a day and a piece of equipment to pull it out! Hell that might take all day!
if done correctly, it can be done in minutes but you have to know what you're doing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
if done correctly, it can be done in minutes but you have to know what you're doing.
You can do a 20' 2" bore in minutes with a rod and hammer? How?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Yeah in half a day and a piece of equipment to pull it out! Hell that might take all day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
You can do a 20' 2" bore in minutes with a rod and hammer? How?
Posted via Mobile Device
you never mentioned a hammer in your statement, it can be done if you know what you're doing though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
you never mentioned a hammer in your statement, it can be done if you know what you're doing though.
I agree it can be done, but I still think it would take half a day. The rod has to sit flat so a trench has to be hand dug(he doesn't want to rent any equipment) for probably 20' since a 2" metal rod isn't too flexible. And good lord that would be quite a few wacks to get it 20' under. And then how do you plan to pull it out?

I own a boring unit, and a 20' bore would take 2 man hours if everything went perfect and if I did not hit rock.

If I didn't have own boring unit I would rent one or sub it out. I hate making cuts in concrete or asphalt especially if it my own property. I can't imagine what my guys would be thinking if I pulled out a 20' pipe and told them to starting hammering.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I agree it can be done, but I still think it would take half a day. The rod has to sit flat so a trench has to be hand dug(he doesn't want to rent any equipment) for probably 20' since a 2" metal rod isn't too flexible. And good lord that would be quite a few wacks to get it 20' under. And then how do you plan to pull it out?

I own a boring unit, and a 20' bore would take 2 man hours if everything went perfect and if I did not hit rock.

If I didn't have own boring unit I would rent one or sub it out. I hate making cuts in concrete or asphalt especially if it my own property. I can't imagine what my guys would be thinking if I pulled out a 20' and told them to starting hammering.
find an old time underground construction worker, if you're nice to him he just might tell you what the trick is.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
find an old time underground construction worker, if you're nice to him he just might tell you what the trick is.
I am interested to know the trick, but since I have a boring unit I doubt I will be doing many long bores by hand.... been there done that... and its a hell of alot slower than a machine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I hates boring under drives.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I hates boring under drives.
Why? Is it boring?


Corny I know...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
find an old time underground construction worker, if you're nice to him he just might tell you what the trick is.
I talked to an old timer who told me about a process he called "spooning". It was some kind of U channel connected to an air hose and the tip would chisel the soil and the air would blow it back out the whole.

My brother hammered a 5" steel pipe under a road to connect his two fields using a demo hammer on his mini ex.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.08019 seconds with 7 queries