Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAG Turf Tiger vs BAD BOY OUTLAW XP

I'm new to this forum. Wondering if anyone can give me some guidence on picking either a SCAG Turf Tiger or Bad BOY Outlaw XP zero turn rider. I have some rough areas and some small hills. The price seems hard to beat on the BAD BOY. I'm just curious if the quality and ride is there compared to the SCAG. A gravely 400 Air ride just became interesting thanks to the add on the forum.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARcnc View Post
I'm new to this forum. Wondering if anyone can give me some guidence on picking either a SCAG Turf Tiger or Bad BOY Outlaw XP zero turn rider. I have some rough areas and some small hills. The price seems hard to beat on the BAD BOY. I'm just curious if the quality and ride is there compared to the SCAG. A gravely 400 Air ride just became interesting thanks to the add on the forum.
You get what you pay for. Comparing those 2 mowers is like comparing a Cadillac to a Kia. Are you mowing your own property or do you have accounts? You could get by with the BB on your own property, but if you try to sell it for some reason 5 years from now you will be lucky to get 1/3 of what you paid new. With the TT having the highest resale value of any ztr if the hours are under 500 you can easily get 1/2 to 2/3 new purchase price.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Liberty 100%. We run both Scag and Gravely and cant be happier with the performance, cut and quality. I have a huge review on the Gravely 400 series here on lawn site. Also if you look below in my signature you will find links to a video of the 400 series in action and some cut quality pics in my work thread.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I think Liberty above made some nice points, the SCAG is in the top of all ztrs. To me Bad Boy are like Gravely, less popular and you want get as much if you want to resale one day. It's important to know if you're just cutting your yard or going to be doing it commerically. I know your looking at these two brands, but have you looked at a Hustler Super Z or Husqvarna PZ mower (two very well-built machines from reputable companies)?
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a link to my Gravely 400 series review. I can assure you that Gravely is now on the same playing field as Scag and in a lot of ways even better. And I have been running Scag for 15 years!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Here is a link to my Gravely 400 series review. I can assure you that Gravely is now on the same playing field as Scag and in a lot of ways even better. And I have been running Scag for 15 years!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
I would like to demo one. The dealer I buy Scag from carries them, but the area rep isn't cooperative. Haven't been able to get a demo, and they have had trouble getting parts.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, thanks for the quick info. I haven't checked out a Hustler but it's just because I'm new to the zero turns. TOO many good products to choose from. It looks like the technology has came a long way in the last 5 years. Another variable in my selection will be the financing availble. Does one brand have a better bagger system than another??
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

scags are built like tanks, they will eventually break down but only after 6-7 yrs of abuse and 3000hrs, but even then the hydro pumps and original spindles are still fine, stupid stuff starts going then, but its all cheap, and i would hope after 1000hrs even that any mower you buy has given you a huge return on your small investment. i bought my first scag brand new in 2005 it was tiger cub with a 48" deck and 19hp kawi 6300 out the door, i was 16 didn't have many accounts 7 years later i traded it in with 985 hours on it and in excellent condition, it had 2 solid front tires which i upgraded to not because i punctured the tires, but they just came off the bead when turning weird off small hills so i just put solid tires on it. and i put new belts on it every 2 years and a new pto switch. and the dealer gave me 3950 for which i thought was pretty good. not bad if you ask me, and that mower has made me alot of money.....i would probably only buy scag or exmark/toro they have the best quality cut in the industry, i have demoed a 60" exmark and it cut a little better then scag but the operators area seemed too short, and being 6'2 i like leg room so i stuck with scag.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The xp ride is awesome, especially if you get the grammer upgrade, cut is 100%, and the steering is one of the smoothest in the market. Bb really listens to us, we had one of the prototype xps and helped them with finishing touches. Its one of the best in the market and has unbeatable pricing. Parts are cheaper, easier to work, amazing factory support. I have seen them come along ways in 5 years since mine fell off my trailer. This year we are one of their largest dealers, maybe the largest after next week...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
The xp ride is awesome, especially if you get the grammer upgrade, cut is 100%, and the steering is one of the smoothest in the market. Bb really listens to us, we had one of the prototype xps and helped them with finishing touches. Its one of the best in the market and has unbeatable pricing. Parts are cheaper, easier to work, amazing factory support. I have seen them come along ways in 5 years since mine fell off my trailer. This year we are one of their largest dealers, maybe the largest after next week...
Posted via Mobile Device
parts may be cheaper, and you may have amazing factory support, but with scag you aren't replacing parts....they are built to last and the price reflects that, its like buying an audi or a kia both will get you from point a to b comfortably, and last for long time, but one is faster, and more comfortable, and handles nicer, and is all around nicer, but alot more money too. i have several friends who do landscaping some do as much as 30hrs a week mowing and they have replaced almost nothing on there mowers just normal parts like belts, pulleys after 1200 hours. they are built rock solid.