finnally got rid of my hustler and got a new 997 deere
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. Congrats
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow ,nice. What model Hustler did you get rid of and why ?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Wow ,nice. What model Hustler did you get rid of and why ?
72/31 kawi super z. I got rid of it because of #1 horrable dealer support.#2 just ALOT of problems. Alot of throttle cables and belts.The motor mount bolts broke off in the block.Leaked oil. All the spindle bearing replaced.Idler pully replaced. clutch replaced. bunch of blown fuses. I traded it in with under 400 hrs on it.It just got to the point i couldn't afford to be broke down every other week. It was actually the second hustler the first one was a 66/26 LC kawi it was in the shop 8xs in 6 months one of which was a blown motor at 100 hrs.

I also want to add i'm not a newbie I dont abuse my mowers. I had a scag with 1600 hrs i bought new and the only problem i had with it was one clutch at 150 hrs. It even had the same belts on it when i sold it. I have also owned a few exmarks with no where near the trouble of hustler. I would have probally gotten a scag but my local scag dealer dont do trade in or loaners. I haven't bought a new JD b4 but everyone that i know that has one swears by there machine and dealer support, so i had to give them a go at it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Krayz.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome Machine , I am a new owner of a 997 as well I did get mine used with 30 hours
On it at a greatly reduced price , replacing my 52 Ex Mark that by the way has never seen
A Tech other than my self doing service original belts and tires 4 years 500 hours a great
Machine and gives a slightly better finish cut than the JD it' tough to beat that Triton deck
For cut quality , but the JD absoultly smokes it in speed and power / torque , I am running the Full mulch kit and wavey blades (JD)
Congrats on your new Mower !!

BTW watch out for the cowling I have not spun around into anything yet but really instructed my hot throttle 18 year old Son.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats....Been using their Z925 and will most likely get another one next year.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice!!!! I have a feeling you will be much happier with your Deere!! Please make sure to get us a review.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got to use it friday and so far i love it. My buddy went from the JD 72/31 kawi to this mower and cut his fuel usages in half. I am really excited about that.Plus i'm going to run farm diesel in it that last time i got it was 46 cent a gallons cheaper. It cut alot better than the hustler did. I have to get use to sitting so high feels strange being up so high.The hustler was low so it could get under limbs better and handle ditches better, but a plus side to being higher is you are alot cleaner and the more straight up way of siting seems to be a little easier on my back. It is a big machine to get use to, but i'm sure in a week or two it will be second nature to me.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I love the Aircraft sound of the Diesel under the Cowling and how quiet it runs full throttle
I cut a residential Sat with my Boy it barely needed cut but was there so went ahead
i ran about 3/4 throttle it just has so much power , I made an Emulator to slow the Hydro deck down a little so i can bump it without full elevation to go over roots / sticks without leaving a chop it's variable so i can regulate the flow , i have a Bahia 1.5 acre with a lot of pines and has a lot of surface roots comes in handy for that yard.
Sitting up high is nice to be able to see whats coming like a Truck / Car thing , I think I sit taller than my Stander lol. I am going to see if i can find some off road Fuel.
The only Ag around here though are the local Growhouses , I think the some of the fishing boats use it so that might be a source.