Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 AM
LawnSite Member

How to get high-end customers?

Next year i want to attract some more high-end clients. I was thinking about getting a mailing list and mailing them a letter with hand written adress. Also put some more yard signs on my current full maintenance accounts to increase visual exposure and lettering my van.
One of my customers is a real estate agent who sells higher end properties and i would like to get some of the properties he sells too. Problem is that people who buy such properties over here are almost always getting their landscaping done by the big and well known companies which doesn't give us a chance to show off our quality.
I also would like to get more clients through my website, but the problem is all of the leads i get through my website are cheap bargain hunters. Maybe i should put some links on the fancier sites? (for example cross linking with some fancy shops around here who also have some rich people as their clients)?
What else could i do? Any ideas or opinions on my current ideas? Thanks everyone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

maybe knock on each door and talk face to face....
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
maybe knock on each door and talk face to face....
what do you mean by high end?

to me high end means people with multiple homes and estate managers that take care of the houses.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
what do you mean by high end?

to me high end means people with multiple homes and estate managers that take care of the houses.

that was directed at the OP i am guessing....

to reply without a quote, go all the way to the bottom of the page...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

yea sorry about that.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

By high-end i mean full landscaping, billed every month. Mowing, hedge trimming, fert and apps, aerating, snow removal,... All in one package. Over here you can sell those packages, but almost only to people who own $1million+ houses. And that's where the big, well known landscaping companies come in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not know who sells list in your area but in the USA there are companies that will sell list and you can plug in the demographics you want. Home value and income as well as location. Then you do just as you say. hand write the envelope and regular stamp it.

You can mail merge the list data onto a word processor and sign each letter.

Be sure to tell them why to use you and not be I can do it too guy. That is the best way to reach these people. You already knew this but just reinforcing for you
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

around here in Greenwich ct there are two types of rich people.
1) the people with 1+ million dollar houses that are more middle class people.
they take care of there own houses and usually own 1 house. there not poor but are not extremely rich.

2) these people have 1+ million dollar houses as well but they have a few of them. they do not manage the houses or the staff. they hire an estate manager to do the hiring of the staff, and the everyday running of the house.

the first group is easy to get to. do exactly what you have planned to do. just make sure you have very good copy and a very good designer for your flyer.

the second group is the hardest to reach, but it pays the best. for reaching these people i have used funny gifts directed at the owner, or estate manager if i can get there names. such as a small stuffed gorilla in a envelop with my flyer in there as well. it will cost more, but is very well worth it
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
a small stuffed gorilla in a envelop with my flyer in there as well. it will cost more, but is very well worth it
You say "I am going Ape trying to reach you"?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
You say "I am going Ape trying to reach you"?
it does not have to be an ape, but is has to stick out, and it can't be flat. you need to get them to open the envelope and read the flyer. small push mowers on a key chain have also worked well for us most of the time with these people if it does not stick out they will not remember it.