Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Dually Plow Truck

What are folks finding with dually plow trucks. I have a chevy 3500HD dually and before i buy a plow for it how do they work for plow trucks? i feel like there wont be enough weight on the rear for good traction. what do folks think of them for plow trucks and how do they work? thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dually Plow Truck

Well what else are you going to be doing with the truck? Or are you just buying it to look big and bad?!?

I have a gmc 4500 with a 9'2 boss v plow... Pickup bed. With a 550 gallon liquid tank in the back... Never really felt like I was going to get stuck. It's a 4x4 but usually only use it when I really need to. Bottom line, get some weight and you'll be fine.

The dual wheels in the back spread the weight of the truck over more space so you won't have as much down pressure/ traction in the back without weight.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

i already own it. i use it to pull a big gooseneck with a tractor and bush hog. i also use it to pull my big spray trailer with i think an 800 gallon tank.
thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

No problem...make sure the blade is at least 8.5 feet wide and you should be fine.

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh okay. Just wondering....
yea get a 9'2 plow for it! I wouldnt go any bigger. i'm thinking of putting a 10 footer on mine so it at least covers the wheel's tracks. Im sure you wont have a problem with a Rock spreader of even a sprayer....As log as its over the axles.

I have max 5500 in my truck at most times so..i havent had a problem..

PM For DETAILS!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks, what kind of plow are you using? what have you heard about the western wideout and the blizzard plow with the same type of wing system?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of places are you plowing? I think this is a bigger deciding factor than traction. If you're doing residential driveways that are 15 feet wide and 40 feet long or something like that, you're probably going to hate it. Big parking lots where you are stationed for a snow event? Get a nice big plow and go to town.

I plow 90% residential in a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 7' Boss. I can run circles around guys in extended cab or crew cab pickups and have much less cleanup shoveling to do because of its maneuverability.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

most of the places i plow are large open parking lots and long 25'ish wide 4ish mile long driveways into some very nice houses
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootHills Landscape View Post
thanks, what kind of plow are you using? what have you heard about the western wideout and the blizzard plow with the same type of wing system?
Never used anything except for Boss and Sno-Way. Im kinda like saturno.. We run Jeeps with Sno-ways and have the bigger trucks with Boss plows on the commercial stuff. Driveways here are like 115 ft straight shot..
Only time we have problems is when it gets deep so we always have pickups as backups.

Other than that When it comes to plows i would usually say Boss is the best...But now i think everybody has caught up to the punch. All hydros are fast. All of them come on and off easier than they used to..
I say it comes down to DEALER SUPPORT! whose going to be able to help you out the day after the storm... My dealer is actually open during the storm..
But then again i have my own ful service shop so we really dont have to deal with the dealer too much. But its nice to know someone is behind my HUGE plow investment!

PM For DETAILS!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootHills Landscape View Post
Western Pro Plus with wings. I couldn't see spending another 1500 bucks on hydraulic wings.

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works