Register free!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Suggestions on best fix and rough price

I'll be submitting a bid on repair of this raised patio. All the stairs need to be rebuilt and the raised section needs some work.
My estimate is to PW all stones and rebuild most of the wall since one side sank nearly 8" from some drainage issues. Customer thinks its because the house was new construction. I'm betting it was their gutters were clogged and the water kept washing out the base on both corners... there really isn't a spceific grade currently.
After rebuilding the wall I'll reset the whole top patio graded to a drain up top that will run to street. Rebuild all stairs and do a polysand to finish off.
I'm coming in with a rough bid of about $3750.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not enough $$$$. I just did a job like this but not as severe. That's where I was at. Seems to me every time this work is redone things never work or fit exactly how they were placed. Of caps are glued and if that glue is good peeling caps off will take some time. If you got the job build more $$ into the job or tell owner this is rough estimate due to the nature of the job once I tear things done and see what the under laying problem is. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, they are glued but all the bonds have been broken so atleast that won't be a worry of breaking any peices. Figured I'm low on the wall rebuild portion of my bid. Thinking of adding another grand onto the bid for the just incase factor. I'm considering digging around a bit and actually see what kinda base was put in. The job was done by a large company about 7 or 8 years ago. Knowing the company I'm slightly worried as to what I'd find.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry if you have no idea how much to price maybe and just maybe you don't really know how to fix it.
I see many many issues that are wrong with that patio, like pavers against siding.
I'm actually more inclined to your customer reasoning, as well as poor base compaction, but until you start digging you will know more, price can range from 4 to 10k or more after you dismantle the whole project
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say it would cost closer to 5k at the low end. You might not be able to get all the pieces to fit back together and need to buy more if you can find the same thing and matching the weathered ones you have now.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how long have you estimated it will take to disassemble and re-assemble?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Also the design of the raised patio could be approved upon. The steps are pretty small and would be hard to step on the one coming off the raised patio.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why Joe Blows Lawn Care needs to stick to cutting grass!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could it be possible that water was running in between the pavers and siding to cause it to sink?

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might be surprised as too what you will find under that, to me it looks like diferential settleing, something like a concrete step is still under there. Many guys will try to hide all kinds of $%$% under raised patios. Bid this one by the hour, thats what I do, I'd put that one at around 6grand. Btw, too me that was done crappy anyway so count on changing the cuts and pattern anyway, it was terrible to start with.