Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

where does the down spout discharge
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This house was a new construction at the time of install, so unlikely to find a actual step but maybe construction debris. There is no down spout discharge, it is run to the street on the corner that sunk the worst, idk if that was there when the patio was originally put in though. This is exactly why I posted this on here to get some help. This is my first season working with hardscapes taking it slow and doing stuff the right way. I wasn't to sure what to do about the pavers up on the siding as most of the patio is right up to the siding except for the stairs which goes above. Considering getting a customer of mine who is a carpenter out to move the siding up and prep the wall. I figured to remove the pavers and place neatly and organized me and another guy 10hours, after prep work is done 10-16hours to put the puzzle back together. I asked about just doing new pavers but she doesn't want to mix up the stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Am i the only one who feels it should be 100% disassembled and be put back together as a completly new installation?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Am i the only one who feels it should be 100% disassembled and be put back together as a completly new installation?
No doubt the optimal solution would be to disassemble and start from scratch. Make sure water directed well away from foundation, proper compacted baset etc. The problem with bidding this job is going to be what you cant see.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

With reading your little paragraph about the project I would do two things, propose a total rip out and removal, or walk away. Why, because if you apply your "band-aid" fix to the steps and pavers, and it settles again. Guess who will be "on the hook" or the homeowner ask to warranty?

I can see a theroy that it was caused by an overdig, just the settling that is evident, however I would image the fill was excess dirt and debris.

Even if you were to repair the trouble some spots, your going to rip up the majority of the patio and steps. Either do it right, or wait till doing it right is finacially possible.

These photos are prime examples of un-experienced and low balling so called landscapers end up with. Bad landscaping costs just as much if not more than thoughtfully designed, and precise installations do. In the end this homeowner will spend double what they would of originally..................

Minneapolis Landscaping Design | View Our Latest Landscaping Design Projects
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundOneMN View Post
With reading your little paragraph about the project I would do two things, propose a total rip out and removal, or walk away. Why, because if you apply your "band-aid" fix to the steps and pavers, and it settles again. Guess who will be "on the hook" or the homeowner ask to warranty?

I can see a theroy that it was caused by an overdig, just the settling that is evident, however I would image the fill was excess dirt and debris.

Even if you were to repair the trouble some spots, your going to rip up the majority of the patio and steps. Either do it right, or wait till doing it right is finacially possible.

These photos are prime examples of un-experienced and low balling so called landscapers end up with. Bad landscaping costs just as much if not more than thoughtfully designed, and precise installations do. In the end this homeowner will spend double what they would of originally..................
Couldn't agree more, rip out or walk away. Lowest price is not always the cheapest. In fact , I am watching a cheap roofing job out my office window. Owners are not home to watch, the "roofing expert" who was not doubt the cheapest, just put the ice shield down wrong and it bubbled, his solution was to cut the ice shield and step on it. This crew, six yougins, have been at this roof two days and havent layed a shingle . You get what you pay for in roofs and paver patios
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After thinking about this more in depth and also remembering that the customer asked me how long I'll Warranty for I'm just going to speak with customer and suggest complete rebuild with some modifications. This is just to much to patch up.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heres what I've done, either way you make your $$. Give a price to do it right with warranty. Then give a price of 2/3 to 3/4 that to fix it. No warranty. If they take the second option they are dumb. Either way you win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
You might be surprised as too what you will find under that, to me it looks like diferential settleing, something like a concrete step is still under there. Many guys will try to hide all kinds of $%$% under raised patios. Bid this one by the hour, thats what I do, I'd put that one at around 6grand. Btw, too me that was done crappy anyway so count on changing the cuts and pattern anyway, it was terrible to start with.
At first I thought over dig on the foundation was the problem, but look closely at the 2 pictures with each end, I think the patio has a 10x10 slab under it.

The main area is so level and intact and the edges by the house the pavers just drop off. 90% of the step in front of the door is intact the wall, not pavers but the end falls off again.

It needs to come out, design is bad, you won't get pavers to line up at all.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What I meant by changing cuts and pattern was to pull it all out and change the design. Yes that means to redo completely. I actually was expecting only that and nothing else when you showed this mess to us.