Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice on how to handle a difficult customer

I haven't been paid yet, I worked on the drive while the customer was at work. He is unhappy because Hairline/spiderweb cracks are showing through the sealer. These cracks are not deep or wide enough for hot rubber.

I'm not sure how to remedy the situation. The job I was hired for, I did.
I will not off him a discount or take money off the job. Because I fell I did a good job and I'm sure you guys would agree. At the same time I want to get paid. Can I go over the hairline cracks with an edge brush and sealer? Re spray that section of the drive? Or is there something else I should try?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2015, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe charge him extra and get some of the crappy liquid crack filler, pour over the spider cracks and squeege the stuff into them than quickly spray over it?

Or maybe even sweep some polymeric sand into the cracks, wet it so it hardens, then spray right over it?

trying to think outside the box haha hope that helps a bit...
Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

1. sit on his front porch till he gets home & TELL him u want your money.
2. walk away.
3. tell him your taking pics to use in court, see how it goes.
4.mix & flat squeege with 30-40 lbs of sand per gal of sealer then re-spray.(risk more)

not sure what U mean by hairline or spider. generally spiders r done with gater pave.
lots of hairline cracks, should b sealed every year with sealer. the asphalt is damaged, 1 day it will need squeege work, when its bad enough. putting stuff on that thick can do more damage over time so u generally dont do it till its so bad, its falling apart faster than the thick stuff will cause it too. thats just the way it is, he has a problem, and he wants to make it yours. guess u will b starting a sh*t list.
so let people know up front "sealer will not give then a new drive". your job is to maintain whatever they give u. if they start on time & maintain THERE drive, give u a nice chunk of asphalt, u will maintain it that way as long as u can but if they give u a turd, u cant polish it.

when its time for a new $10,000 driveway, from lack of maintaince, lots of folks want to finally pay a coater $400. to make it like new. find that out up front, u got power at that point. hope u r having fun.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeE View Post
1. sit on his front porch till he gets home & TELL him u want your money.
2. walk away.
3. tell him your taking pics to use in court, see how it goes.
4.mix & flat squeege with 30-40 lbs of sand per gal of sealer then re-spray.(risk more)

not sure what U mean by hairline or spider. generally spiders r done with gater pave.
lots of hairline cracks, should b sealed every year with sealer. the asphalt is damaged, 1 day it will need squeege work, when its bad enough. putting stuff on that thick can do more damage over time so u generally dont do it till its so bad, its falling apart faster than the thick stuff will cause it too. thats just the way it is, he has a problem, and he wants to make it yours. guess u will b starting a sh*t list.
so let people know up front "sealer will not give then a new drive". your job is to maintain whatever they give u. if they start on time & maintain THERE drive, give u a nice chunk of asphalt, u will maintain it that way as long as u can but if they give u a turd, u cant polish it.

when its time for a new $10,000 driveway, from lack of maintaince, lots of folks want to finally pay a coater $400. to make it like new. find that out up front, u got power at that point. hope u r having fun.
It has been fun so far, my boy loves going out with me. I'll deal with the customer so that he's happy, cheap cold crack filler. $20 out of my pocket to get $230... It's what the customer wants
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

nick
good call. sh*t happens so whatever it takes...."there are no problems, only opportunities"....each time is your opportunity to solve what others could not. good job.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeE View Post
nick
good call. sh*t happens so whatever it takes...."there are no problems, only opportunities"....each time is your opportunity to solve what others could not. good job.
Got paid!
Posted via Mobile Device