Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Everyone knows in the spring when the grass goes crazy it takes longer to do a route .But as summer comes it takes less time to to do the same route.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys thx for the response. After lokoing ast all the numbers it def seems like i need to cut 2 fuys. Right now our route bring in about $3800 per week and were paying out an avergae of $3200 in payroll for 5 guys. So im never catching up plus have to pay monthyl overhead bills. It seem sliek the only option is to cut 2 guys from the team.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpixels View Post
Hey guys thx for the response. After lokoing ast all the numbers it def seems like i need to cut 2 fuys. Right now our route bring in about $3800 per week and were paying out an avergae of $3200 in payroll for 5 guys. So im never catching up plus have to pay monthyl overhead bills. It seem sliek the only option is to cut 2 guys from the team.
Sorry to say but something more serious is wrong here.
Given the info in the OP the man hour shift seemed to be in line with the change in personel numbers. Your cost should have gone down by reducing OT wages.

You seem to have a revenue problem or some super slow people.

You may need to look at some job costing closely and shed a few accounts and trim your crew size.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree which is what im doing now. I know for a fact my guys are milinking some hours weekly. As for my accounts 1/2 are all in one town close together and the other half are spread out between 5 towbs so there is drive time invilved when doing this route. We could def shed a few that arwe a little more out of the way.
Also i def need to trim down on crew. thres no question.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was kind of in the same boat a month or two ago. what I am doing to finish out the year is the following.

went from 6-7 guys down to 3 guys plus a part time guy. some of the commercial grass has slown down enough to only need mowing every other week since we have been in a drought. thus we went from 3 guys 5 days cutting to 2.5 guys 4 days. My 3rd guy is a good landscape forman, he has been doing some cutting with the other 2, and he has ben doing some work by himself, and sometimes depending on the project we get a temp guy to help. it has made managing alot easier, and thus I can monitor the productivity alot closer. We actually seem to be getting almost the same amount of income per week, with just way less exspense. Most of the temp guys have experiance, nice thing is I dont pay for their travel, no shop time, and in a way they tend to work harder than others since they want me to "like them" and to call them back for more work, or employe them.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you guys are not taking overtime into consideration.

If you are paying overtime on 55 hours that is the same as paying 62.5 hrs.
4 x 55hrs (62.5) = 250 paid hrs
5 x 42hrs (43) = 212 paid hrs

That's a difference of 38 paid hrs. By paying 4 guys 15hrs of overtime each you are essentially paying more than you would for 6 guys each working 40hrs.

I agree with this. I also have had several crews out and have monitored time working and found that my presence would cut slacking down. I also have had a foreman that would call the crew on it as well and keep the slacking to a minimum.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$3,800 per crew or for both crews?