Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Business Logo suggestions

So I was sitting down tonight and messing with a pencil and paper and made a logo theme but now i'm stuck. Either a)ideas for a background or b) move the "Stripes" behind the text and have a finished product for a logo. Would love any critique or suggestions. Again it's just a rough draft. Thank you ahead of time!
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would make the stripes thicker in the middle, say maybe 1.5-2" and then get thinner as they go out towards the ends. Very nice drawing in general.
Exmark Vantage
Exmark Turf Tracer
Stihl Handhelds
1 Full Time Helper
10,000 Post cards in boxes ready to be sent out next season
Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah I had noticed after my center line I messed those up :P but thanks for the suggestion. Any ideas on a background? It totally has me stumped. And the drawing is a result of when your 18 mo old actually takes a nap gave me some time to get some things going.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome, it doesn't have clip art of a tree or a guy pushing a lawn mower.

Seriously, ORIGINALITY is something that really sets you apart. I really like this logo, it's awesome and would look great on the side of a trailer. Make sure your name is clearly legible when the final product is done by a professional graphic designer.

This is my logo, a buddy of mine who does merchandise for punk bands made it. I love it.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I design or work with logos on a daily basis. While it's certainly an original take, my two cents are that it's significantly overdone and you're going to run into problems using it in various applications (business cards, shirts, signage, trucks, etc).

Issues include the scale of the design elements, the services tag line above the name is awkward, the colors are not complimentary, the chromed look will not be much for readability (unless that's actually the reflection off of penciling and not a silver pen), and, maybe most importantly, the busy flag pattern made me have to look at your name 3 times and decipher what it says.

Maybe lay it out in Illustrator and see how it looks? That will allow you to easily scale it up and down to see where the issues of use I mentioned might come in to play.

You might find that losing the grass altogether, moving the service tagline below, and working on the flag overlay, with a start outlining of the letters gets you more towards a logo that looks good and is functional for your needs.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pennings, it looks like your guy had a mis-layering in your logo. The left side wheat is on top of your name. I would imagine it's an oversight as I can't imagine he intentionally had a background element overlaying something that is clearly in the foreground. That's a an open the file, drag the layer down to the appropriate slot in the ordering, save, and done type of fix.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions! The glare is from the pencil no pen used. And as of now I know I want to include the American flag and my name in some sort of way and that was the best way I had thought of. What if I ditch the grass and give the outline of my name a more bold outline? I would think a more bold outline would make the name easier to notice?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEWRIGHT View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! The glare is from the pencil no pen used. And as of now I know I want to include the American flag and my name in some sort of way and that was the best way I had thought of. What if I ditch the grass and give the outline of my name a more bold outline? I would think a more bold outline would make the name easier to notice?
That's the direction I would head. The outlining will also come in handy depending on what kind of vehicle signage you might end up doing, especially as it relates to background colors.

Re: the lettering, one thing that did(does) throw me is the U. I'm assuming that notch in the bottom is that of a lower case "u", while your other letters are upper case. When you take that into consideration, it makes the viewer (at least this one lol) have to try to process what letter it really is.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Perfect. And the "U" definitely slipped right past me! thank you. Ill do a little editing and see what I come up with. Thanks Tonygreek!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Diewright,
artistic, but too hard to read. Look to the left to see some good corporate Logos. Did you spot Oregon? JRCO? Hustler? Logos should be big and bold. Should be impossible to mis-read. Should never require a second look to decipher what is being spelled. Your truck may be going 60 mph; your t-shirts almost as fast. Don't make the potential customer look at your name and say, "HUH?"

Some logos on the left are more difficult to read; did you spot: Turfex, Groundskeeper or Clubcutter?
Why not--because they need to be bolder and bigger.
Likewise--if you look carefully--you might see: J.Thomas, Aculawn, and Pro-Parts Direct.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-18-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: ps