Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

We used to cut the rehab place until they moved into the hospital. After that I think the place was empty for awhile. When I saw activity over there again I just didnt worry about approaching them. Sounds like they'll be in good hands though. How much are you getting for that place per cut now, just curious?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Reedy View Post
We used to cut the rehab place until they moved into the hospital. After that I think the place was empty for awhile. When I saw activity over there again I just didnt worry about approaching them. Sounds like they'll be in good hands though. How much are you getting for that place per cut now, just curious?
Well I only cut them a couple of times. Only because things was slowing down. I was charging them $120 a cut plus their was a lot of clean up around there. How much we're you charging them per cut? But once things get back rolling I'll have them on monthly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We were charging $90/cut about 4 years ago I was just curious Once again, sounds like they're in good hands.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We were charging $90/cut about 4 years ago I was just curious Once again, sounds like they're in good hands.
$120 was extra clean up fee. $90 sounds right it only takes bout 45 mins to a hour if that when help is on hand. By the way how much do you pay your helpers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Was paying one guy $500/wk year-round but he crapped out. The other guys all make between $10-14/hr. I'm going to end up paying them more once it gets hot as incentive to stick around. They've all been doing this for awhile and getting into adulthood lol so it's time they make more as long as the quality stays consistent.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Was paying one guy $500/wk year-round but he crapped out. The other guys all make between $10-14/hr. I'm going to end up paying them more once it gets hot as incentive to stick around. They've all been doing this for awhile and getting into adulthood lol so it's time they make more as long as the quality stays consistent.
I have a part time helper that's not dependable. I only pay him $9.00 an hour. He does good work though. I don't have to tell him what to do, but he's not dependable. The only way you can keep someone is to pay him what he's worth.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
I have a part time helper that's not dependable. I only pay him $9.00 an hour. He does good work though. I don't have to tell him what to do, but he's not dependable. The only way you can keep someone is to pay him what he's worth.
Luke how much business do you have?
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You could lay it out for your part-time helper that you'd be willing to pay more per hour for dependability (wink, wink) But he has to show you dependability first. Another technique I've used is to give a bonus at the end of the week. For some reason it does not seem to matter how much they make per hour as long as they get extra at the end. Kind of like a mystery. Used to, when the guys i had were in high school, making 200 a week they looked forward to seeing what extra they would be getting. For a long time it was about 30-50 extra, which in essence was a 15-25% bonus. They were absolutely thrilled. Keep in mind, at $7-8/hr. that was huge. You could try that with your one guy and see how it goes. If he makes$100 then throw him an extra 10 or 15, but be sure to point it out. Let him know its bc he did a great job that day. Bc the way that he thinks is if he goes to work for 10 hours he will make $90 and be tired as hell,so it isn't worth it to him bc it's not comfortable. See if that works, it'll cost you very little to get dependability out of him. And besides it sounds like you're on your way to being a baller anyway !!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

This summer i counted the amount of yards we did on two random weeks. One week was 100 and the other was 105. I don't really keep count, I just happened to be curious. This number does include residential and commercial with a few of them taking 2 hours or more. On Mondays we only cut 10 places, but it is a long day. The rest of the week is residential if it doesn't rain on a Monday.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This summer i counted the amount of yards we did on two random weeks. One week was 100 and the other was 105. I don't really keep count, I just happened to be curious. This number does include residential and commercial with a few of them taking 2 hours or more. On Mondays we only cut 10 places, but it is a long day. The rest of the week is residential if it doesn't rain on a Monday.
Man sure sounds like you have a lot of work. I have a lot to say I have a part time helper but I'm in search for more. But whenever you have some freetime let me know and we can meet somewhere to chat for a few.
Posted via Mobile Device