Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

It'll mess up the clutch or gear box if you run with the string too long for a long period of time bc it'll not let the motor get to top rpms. But the benefits of much lighter weight and fatigue on you make taking the guard off totally worth it. You may also break a few more windows over a lifetime. Definitely worth it, try it and you'll get used to that lighter weight really quick. With the guard on, it gets caked with mud to increase weight and just all around sucks.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Running without a guard depends on lots of things. If you run big engine trimmers no problem and if you not help uses them no problem. If you are putting it in someone else's hands always have the guard. They will break everything. Learned the hard way on that one. The back glass on a s class Benz is far from cheap. The best thing is it was the neighbor of a customer who told me I was too expensive a couple weeks earlier when i bid their house. The glass costs 1/3 of what the job payed for the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

We actually broke three windows last year and that was fun. Two of them had tint as well. Awesome. In my career, I'd say we've broken about 25 car windows and about 7 windows on homes. Not regular windows--sliding glass doors, ornate front door windows, rear entry doors--stuff like that. But at the same time, it's all part of cutting a lot of grass. On the Benz maybe you could've filed a claim under your insurance or theirs and just pay deductible, just a thought. The guards just seem to wear the guys out too fast on hot days bc of the weight of mud and crap that sticks to them. Even though we've broken a lot of glass, we'd never go back to using guards.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Not an option insurance of any kind is crazy expensive in Louisiana. Our insurance rates are the highest in the country. You never make a claim. Unless you have to, It is just the way it is. You don't want to know how high it can go!

It is something you never break the cheap glass. The glass that scares me the most is old glass. I work in New Orleans and some of the jobs have old wavy glass that you just can't replace. Try calling around to find a 200 year old piece of glass is no fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use both , have one with and one without guard , at townhouse places with cars , sliding glass doors , kids watching etc , and at big company places were osha is present and also on residentials were there is not much to trim in the hot summer so I can wear shorts I use a guard! at cemeteries i always leave guard off , makes getting around the stones and in little places so much easier , and on large hill sides were there is lots of trimming use the one with guard off , get the strings out there and turn yourself into a 70" mower LOL , Both have advantages , if close to people cars and homes use a guard , if an accident happens at least thats one less thing for them to trample you about. Thats what I do at least.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man it sounds like you'll brake a lot of windows without the guard. I think I'll just leave mine on at all the time. But I've heard you can mess up the motor after using it for awhile without a guard on.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Man it sounds like you'll brake a lot of windows without the guard. I think I'll just leave mine on at all the time. But I've heard you can mess up the motor after using it for awhile without a guard on.
If you want to run one with no guard and no problems you need a low end brush cutter and not a string trimmer. The one i have used for about 7 years without a guard is a old shindawa t272x. It is like a 30 cc engine or close to it and is a brush cutter. it weighs a ton but you are not gonna kill the clutch.

That one is for hard work only. I drilled out a speed feed head so it takes 130 line. that thing is a beast.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before picture, I trimmed the shrubs about 2 weeks ago

After pictures

Backyard pictures

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
Looking good
Thanks man, my goal is to do at least 1-2 landscaping jobs a week. If I can do 1 a week its cool, I'm satisfied. But 2 is better. But that one was a nice size job though. Also that's one of my new weekly accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device