Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Mower Conversion

In an effort to cut "some" of the initial costs of my start-up, I had a question.....

I currently have a Toro 22" mower, model #20065
It is not going to be the main mower, just trims and inaccessible areas that my soon to get Grandstand and possible walk-behind won't get to.

What can I do to convert this mower to handle the workload much like commercial grade push mowers?

THANKS!

Last edited by Grass Cutting Fool; 08-28-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelled one little word wrong!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First you need to remove motor& replace with industrial/commercial motor. Before you place new motor on old deck, replace deck with commercial deck. Simple conversion & changes the look totaly with those 2 changes! Lol!

Just use what you got til you can purchase commercial grade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With regular maintenance you could get two or three years out of that mower without it starting to have issues that take up too much of your time.

Change your oil every 25 hours or at least on a weekly basis.

Change the blade regularly, do a complete inspection and tighten things.

The gears that turn the wheels get dry. You have to take the drive wheels totally apart. Clean things good with a wire brush or even really hot water with liquid dish soap and a wire brush. The grass and grease gets into the cogs and makes a paste that builds up over time.

You could clean the clips, washers, spring and other small parts in car brake fluid or some-thing similar. (carb. cleaning fluid?) Then every-thing gets greased up and put back together.

I spray any moving parts with WD-40 or fluid film.

I recommend that you purchase a spare drive wheel and a set of cogs, clips and spacers. (50 dollars?) The wheels have a tendency to loosen the drive bolt and you could lose important parts in the grass.

I watched one of our wheels take off down a long steep road....and the small parts rolled into a storm sewer grate.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

If it's only being used for trim work, I have no reason to doubt that mower wouldn't last for a couple seasons so long as you take care of it and don't slam the snot out of it loading and unloading. To improve the cut quality, keep your blades sharpened and balanced. On top of a spare drive wheel, I'd suggest keeping an extra drive belt in your truck.

Tags
commerical , lawn , mower , residential , toro