Register free!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

18-0-6 result?

Anyone has some inputs about 18-0-6 fertilizer? My dealer told me that the Iron in the fertilizer is going to reduce a lot weeds on the lawn.

I will be using Vanquish as my main pre emergent herbicide + 18-0-6 for weeds control during the heat season.

Does the 18-0-6 work?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_a_beginner View Post
Anyone has some inputs about 18-0-6 fertilizer? My dealer told me that the Iron in the fertilizer is going to reduce a lot weeds on the lawn.

I will be using Vanquish as my main pre emergent herbicide + 18-0-6 for weeds control during the heat season.

Does the 18-0-6 work?
And I wondered why Canada was reducing the amount of Fertilizer and Pesticides allowed.....now I know

How would Iron alone help reduce weeds? A healthy turf stand will essentially limit weeds by not giving them room to invade. But if you have weeds prior to putting down fert - you will have well fed weeds after putting down the fertilizer.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Does the 18-0-6 work?
Seriously, are you joking? If you're not, please stick with mowing until you learn more. A little bit of iron in the fert will not reduce any weeds. Is the pesticide ban still in effect in Quebec?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Does the 18-0-6 work?
You would be better off learning more of what you are talking about. Before yo post thing that make You look bad. And i would find a fert dealer that knows what they are talking about. The iron won't stop or kill weeds but may be he was talking about the pre emergent.

Charles Cue
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I tell what my dealer say. He said the iron will be doing the same job as a contact herbicide. It will fight well versus crabgrass and stuff but not as good on weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Well I tell what my dealer say. He said the iron will be doing the same job as a contact herbicide. It will fight well versus crabgrass and stuff but not as good on weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the first thing you need to do is go to top of the page and search [IRON ] and find out what it does to turf grass. Number 2 is don't believe any thing your dealer says

Charles Cue
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Is the pesticide ban still in effect in Quebec?
If they don' still, when this dealer is done filling newbies heads with inaccurate information, I bet they will!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Number 2 is don't believe any thing your dealer says

Plus 1

Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I forgot the name--is it Fiesta? There is a broadleaf non-herbicide for Canada that is based on iron.
The Canada guys will be able to tell you.
Wait; I found it.
One gallon treats 1300 square feet.
http://www.growercentral.com/UPLOADS...%2004%2010.pdf
Probably doesn't work too well.

My opinion for the organic-only lawns. I include (at extra cost) 10 minutes of hand weeding during each of 5 yearly treatments. I suggest add this: Extra heavy nitrogen fertilizer reduces weeds by increasing thickness, particularly if grass is well-irrigated and cut tall. But cut short if you have the tall weeds. Water less if you have the water-loving weeds.

Always seed and aerate several times per year (using a very thick type of Kentucky bluegrass, [like "Touchdown"])--the purpose is to increase the grass density and thereby fight weeds. Hopefully others will have suggestions as to what cultivar of bluegrass has the highest density.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Langara is also a dense variety with exceptional quality.
http://pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/langara_ts.pdf

I would think it would fight weeds with its density.