Register free!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn repair - simplest way

I have a person inquiring about seeding a front lawn that they mistakenly sprayed non selective weed killer on. I am giving a price for new soil and seed. The front lawn is shadowed by two 80' maples on the boulevard. Roots are no doubt running all over the lawn, making tilling or rototilling near impossible. My idea is to kill the remaining grass, and either cut it extremely low or rake the dead grass off.

My question is, would it be acceptable to simply spread 2" of new soil on top of dead grass or should I go through the trouble of trying to remove the dead grass?

My guess is to cut it as low as I can while bagging the clippings, then spread 2" new soil, roll, fertilize, seed, and roll again.

Any opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump for saturday
Old 09-13-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing all of that work, might be more economical to just re-sod. How long has it been since sprayed? May need to wait till Spring with your location.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What was sprayed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that weed-b-gone with vinegar was sprayed, im not sure when she sprayed, but her reasoning to spray what her husband bought (without reading the label) was to get rid of patches of clover. But the use of sod would be a huge increase in price and I wouldnt have the most confidence in it being shaded by huge trees. its a south facing lawn but it really only gets some sun in the morning.

Its 1500 sq ft so im looking at 10 yards of soil, and i do not want to rent a sod cutter to remove whats here now
Attached Images

Last edited by Ditta&Sons; 09-13-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try to sell sod, 1500 sq ft is easily doable in a few hours. Of course the prep work takes a while but you'll have better end results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i said id give her two quotes, one for sod, one for seed. id rather just do the seed though, sod will be twice as much.
the prep work is what im questioning about, scrape dead grass away, or cut it extremely short, or just lay soil on top and have the dead areas just be 'compost'
Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
i said id give her two quotes, one for sod, one for seed. id rather just do the seed though, sod will be twice as much.
the prep work is what im questioning about, scrape dead grass away, or cut it extremely short, or just lay soil on top and have the dead areas just be 'compost'
Depending on how high the lawn sits already, sod cutting may be the only way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sow seed 8 weeks before frost--or maybe not--everybody knows its cold in Canada. Sorry, I had to use frost dates across the river in NY. October 8 is first frost date.
http://letsgrowveggies.com/new_york/14301/frost_dates/

Are weeds growing in the dead spots? Hopefully--yes. If not, suppose they used a bare-ground type of vegetation killer--like Ortho Triox--which lasts 6 to 12 months?

So...I think it is too late for seed--unless an inch tall when the snow flies is OK with you.
Sod is quicker, greener and more sure. Costs more, but worth it. Less weeds since you can't spray for weeds anyway. Sod farms seldom suggest laying sod over old grass--if it didn't "take" your customer could sue you because you "did it wrong".
However, I think I would agree with you that a very short mowing followed by a couple passes with a dethatcher blade or power rake would open up the soil enough. No need for new soil. That is just my opinion.

I did a test by placing sod on old grass and crabgrass with no preparation in 2013. See my old threads--it looked fairly good when well-watered. Irrigation would be helpful, as always. Starter fert helpful after three weeks.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=sod+crabgrass

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-13-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: link
Old 09-13-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Sow seed 8 weeks before frost--or maybe not--everybody knows its cold in Canada. Sorry, I had to use frost dates across the river in NY. October 8 is first frost date.
http://letsgrowveggies.com/new_york/14301/frost_dates/

Are weeds growing in the dead spots? Hopefully--yes. If not, suppose they used a bare-ground type of vegetation killer--like Ortho Triox--which lasts 6 to 12 months?

So...I think it is too late for seed--unless an inch tall when the snow flies is OK with you.
Sod is quicker, greener and more sure. Costs more, but worth it. Less weeds since you can't spray for weeds anyway. Sod farms seldom suggest laying sod over old grass--if it didn't "take" your customer could sue you because you "did it wrong".
However, I think I would agree with you that a very short mowing followed by a couple passes with a dethatcher blade or power rake would open up the soil enough. No need for new soil. That is just my opinion.

I did a test by placing sod on old grass and crabgrass with no preparation in 2013. See my old threads--it looked fairly good when well-watered. Irrigation would be helpful, as always. Starter fert helpful after three weeks.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=sod+crabgrass
the latest date i can seed is first week in october, id like to start it next week or so, i should be ok as long as the soil temp doesnt get below 30.
nothing is growing in the dead areas as of the other day, but im not sure how long ago she did it, im assuming recently because she asked me about it last week. she works at an office that i take care of so i am the first person she called.
the soil installation is where id be making most of my money on this job

thanks riggle, ill take a look at your thread, ive thrown sod on top of crappy grass at my own place and just stepped on it, no extra care, and its grown in just fine, but obviously for a paying job, i have to take it seriously lol

i will have to ask her exactly what was sprayed to assure it wasnt something that would make any type of growth impossible in the future

Last edited by Ditta&Sons; 09-13-2014 at 01:30 PM.