Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Digging Up Plants for Profit

Hey guys,

I have a project I'm working on. It's a lot of land clearing. I'm going in and just clearing tons and tons of tangled brazilian pepper and other invasive florida vines with a chainsaw. Then I'm going to probably shred them into compost (because it's a lot to drag out).

Some of the other areas I'm eventually going to be clearing out include TONS of "Macho Fern". She just wants them taken out so she can plant grass since they have expanded so quickly...it will be easier to take care of.

So obviously, I can just destroy these plants/level it (much quicker), or I can remove them carefully and put them in inexpensive nursery containers for resale (craigslist, flea market?)

Do you guys think it is worth it to remove the plants for resale? I'm still very small, so you have to remember that my time isn't as consumed by other profitable enterprises like some of you who already have jobs lined up for 6+ months.

Let me know if you guys have any experience with this...selling recovered plants on craigslist, etc...

Thanks!

Oh yeah, also, same thing with just compost/mulch/chips you have from jobs (not the pretty stuff from wood, but more from vines, leaves and brush).
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The mulch sounds like it should go to the dump.

If you want some of the plants for your yard then take some. It would be easier for you in the long run to purchase from a wholesaler if you need plants for a new client.

I know where you`re coming from though. I hate to destroy good plant material. I`ve collected many specimens over the years and have mostly added things to my own gardens at home. Or I give them to family and friends.

Try selling them on-line. Perhaps get the word out there now, before you have to do any work or potting up of plants that will most likely sit in storage.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice idea. I just made a listing ahead of time (before digging them up) on craigslist. What were your other ideas for selling them online?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You really should be burning the. Brazilian peppers. They are non native and invasive. Just cutting them guarantees they will come back worse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a local Kajiji site? Those two places are about the only free places to advertise things. You can use your facebook or myspace page, or start a new facebook page for your business.

There are other free sites out there if you want to advertise your landscaping business.

Can you spray some-thing for the peppers? Glyphosate?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Does it really confirm that they will come back worse or just that they will come back eventually? I'm not permitted to burn or apply pesticides...I don't even know how I'd go about the burn safely...
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Major problem in FL. They will return quickly without a herbicide with residual . Burning is preferred disposal method. Dump prohibits putting in brush pile. Composting will just spread them around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

cool thanks for the info. I definitely won't compost any.