Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

low maintenance flowers, drought tolerant

Hey everyone.

Im looking for some suggestions for a client. They want something that is low maintenance, and somewhat drought tolerant. What would I be able to plant up here in Northern Illinois that will look nice as well.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lavender, enchinacea, hollyhock, Delphinium, Lupine, foxglove, carnation... plenty more but this is all that i can think of right now

northern illinois is zone 4-5 do a search online and u will find plenty of information

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

native plants! take a look into anything native to the area.....

most prairie plants will be drought tolerant or even drought loving such as gaillardia

in our perennial garden we have echinacea, rudbeckia, hyssop, allium, salvia, karl forester, switch grass, joe pye weed, little bluestem and liatris.... all of which have thrived in the first year without any water

some other flowers id assume are pretty hardy
ratibda, heliopsis, big bluestem, gailllardia, globe thistle, side oats grama, etc etc, the list goes on and on and on and on and on...................
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to the both of you for replying. This will make my search much easier!

Have a great week!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post

most prairie plants will be drought tolerant or even drought loving such as gaillardia

in our perennial garden we have echinacea, rudbeckia, hyssop, allium, salvia, karl forester, switch grass, joe pye weed, little bluestem and liatris.... all of which have thrived in the first year without any water

ratibda, heliopsis, big bluestem, gailllardia, globe thistle, side oats grama, etc etc, the list goes on and on and on and on and on...................
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Would any of these thrive in acidic soil? Pine trees are the death of me.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroquet View Post
Would any of these thrive in acidic soil? Pine trees are the death of me.

Rob
You would have to do the research on the plants themselves to see if they will thrive or not.

The only real problem with native plants is that they require native soil and conditions in order to thrive. Having an Urban setting with bad soil might hinder your growth or survival rate.

And, if your trying to grow under pine trees, I'd axe the idea. as the needles are going to create issues every year.

And, Pine needles creating acidic soil is a falacy. Though Pine trees like acidic soil for growth, the needles don't alter the PH of the soil. Oak tree leaves are more likely to change the PH of the soil over pine trees.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
lavender, enchinacea, hollyhock, Delphinium, Lupine, foxglove, carnation... plenty more but this is all that i can think of right now

northern illinois is zone 4-5 do a search online and u will find plenty of information
Have you ever had good luck with Delphinium's? On 3 different ocassions I planted about 100 Summertime Blues because I really wanted some blue in the landscape but they never would survive. (zone 5-6)
Steve