Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which to use for winter
Annual Ryegrass 0 0%
Perennial Ryegrass 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perennial ryegrass maintanence

I'm trying to decide between annual ryegrass or perennial ryegrass for my winter color this year. I'm planning on starting my bermuda seed project next spring('13). So I've been using annual ryegrass in my backyard while I've had fescue in my frontyard. I've been mowing the annual rye at 3"-3.5". Not sure what to mow the perennial at and where to find some seed. What do you mow perennial at, those that overseed in the winter. Also, if you could vote on which I should go with or looks best. I know perennial has a darker blade than the lime green of the annual.
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999frontier View Post
I'm trying to decide between annual ryegrass or perennial ryegrass for my winter color this year. I'm planning on starting my bermuda seed project next spring('13). So I've been using annual ryegrass in my backyard while I've had fescue in my frontyard. I've been mowing the annual rye at 3"-3.5". Not sure what to mow the perennial at and where to find some seed. What do you mow perennial at, those that overseed in the winter. Also, if you could vote on which I should go with or looks best. I know perennial has a darker blade than the lime green of the annual.
If your question is which looks better, PRG is a no-brainer. If it's all going to be ripped out or done with Roundup when you do the Bermudagrass, you might as well go with PRG. If you want to overseed the Bermudagrass into the existing lawn, which is not a good idea I might add, ARG is the lesser of two evils, because it will die out sooner when it gets hot.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Perennial rye grass, hand's down.