Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Moving to Colorado

I have recently been contemplating moving to the Denver area. I have owned a lawn care company the last two years in Springfield MO. Aside from the drought that everyone has experienced business has been good. I gained most of my customers from marketing and about 3 from word of mouth. (out of 23) In Springfield I have 19 residential accounts, 3 banks, and a tire shop. The banks are all one company, really great account. But on the downside this town is just not for me, I lived in Colorado for a short time and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I want to get a job working in the lawn care business mon-fri and build up some clients to mow on the weekends.(I wont be stealing accounts I know how to market and there is enough bus for everyone) Then slowly get back into being my own boss. My girlfriend cleans houses and I was hoping to market to high end residential accounts. A cleaning company/lawn service all in one company. She would own her half and me mine. People who pay for their house to be cleaned here also pay for their yard to be taken care of and vise versa. I do have a couple questions though, what is the most common brand mowers used in the Denver area? Also what communities are affluent aka $$$$? I cant decide if I want to rent a storage unit for my equipment or sell before I move? Any other suggestions?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd like to follow this one it sounds like we're both in the same boat. I'm hoping to move in the next year or so to the Boulder/Ft. Collins area.

I have a feeling the pricing is going to be comsiderably different out that way especially come winter time. We get 30+ plowable events here and im not sure what to expect out there. I suspect that not much will change for me during the mowing season.