Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Transition to full time?

This fall will mark the end of my first season of providing lawn care services as a part time venture here in Maine. I began the season with a 21" Honda mower and a 42 " Snapper LT 125. By July I had established 12 regular accounts and felt confident enough to make a substantial investment in professional equipment. I purchased a Ferris IS 2000, Ferris Evolution and several other key items of equipment. While the summer was certainly not without its glitches, I feel that it provided a good base on which to build in subsequent seasons and has been an excellent learning process. My full time work schedule allows me to mow two full week days as well as mornings as needed. I am also currently learning the ins and outs of fall clean-ups!? I would like to ask those of you who have done so, at what point were you able to make the transition from part time to full time lawn care? In particular, those of you who left a stable, good paying career. If you had it to do over again, would you make the leap? Thank you in advance for your response.

Last edited by thelawnduke; 10-22-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is no magic or secret formula.
When your LCO makes the same as your FT job.

If you were paying your bills with your FT job example $500 a week and your business makes $200 you can't give up your FT job until you are making $700.

Why $200 more? Simple I assume you took out loans to buy the equipment. All businesses can have down turns. You give up your FT job and lose business by 20% you can still pay your bills.

I will also assume that your business has been paying off the loans while your job has been supporting you. All more the reason to have your business doing better before you leave your FT job. Another reason to avoid debt and pay cash.

Option is at some point you possibly can transtion to a PT postion where you are or find a PT job some place else as your business grows.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank for the response. My plan has been very similar to what you stated, to transition when I am able do produce a 52 week average of slightly more than I can earn anually with my full time job. Your suggestion to go to a part time position is also an avenue worth weighing in on.
I was able to purchase equipment in cash so I do not have the added stress of monthly payment deadlines. I am aware that things break and new purchases will need to be made so I would still want that cushion to prepare for the unexpected, as well as to repay the cash payment. The income from my first season would have produced an adequate amount to repay a standard loan for the price of the equipment for the year. I would certainly not have had any left over for emergencies or personal bills!