Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting for Spring 2013

I have been in the industry for 9 years now. My position right now is Supervisor/Manager.

I am from Greater Toronto Area, in Ontario. I have all my Trade tickets or lisences.

I know the in's and out's of the business but am tired of being the #2 guy, I want to start up for the spring.

My goal is for maybe 20 houses and 4-6 Condos and Industrial.

Just would like to hear words of advice, for getting the equipment and clients and business ideas.

Thanks Josh
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless you are going in and underbidding the company you currently work for, it will be hard to go out and get all of those accounts in the spring. These businesses are best build by growing steady. Just some advice. Good luck to you.
2005 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
2005 John Deere 647 Quik Track 48"
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be bidding aganist all companies, not just them. I know I will have to do door to door hangers and go and speak to property management companies as well but concerns as a new company is WHY am I better than companies that have been in business 5,10,15 years
Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First things first. Stay away from any of your current companies clients for the first two years.

Second do you have a non compete agreement? I do not know canadian laws but that could be a problem.

third, you need to write a business plan, have some money saved up, and go to a bank for a loan.

Lastly, realize you will be working way harder for less money, for a long time to come, than you currently are now.

What the is price for following a leader, vs. using your own ideas? Have you tried to have the current owner talk about using some of your ideas?

Have you thought about buying into the company your currently work for as a partner?

Have you approached the current owner with your entrepreneurial ideas?

Money talks, if you are willing to invest, then you can call some of the shots.

I'd explore all avenues first.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I do not plan on taking or stealing his clients. If they choose me in the bidding war process than so be it.

I do not want to be apart of his business in anyway, I have had 5 years under him, all as his #2 guy. I have voiced my concerns and spent many evenings past dark talking to him about ideas and they go on deaf ears.

I have the knowledge and backing to do this but I am trying to crunch numbers and see how it is possible to be realitivly even until the winter, when here we do most plowings by contracts and per salts and pushes. Where we make a large amount of money
Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

well do you plan to do any snow operations this winter? Or has that work already sold?

Crunching numbers depends on what you plant to start first.

when do you plan to leave this company? Tomorrow? or in the spring?

What can you afford to cut out of your personal spending?

You have to think of two budgets. 1) your personal life, basically the one you have right now, based on the income you currently receive. and 2) your future company.

Your new company cannot support your current life style, plain and simple. So what are you willing to cut from your daily living in order to start a new business venture.

this is the first number crunching you need to look at. If your home loan, car loan, baby formulae and student loans (or whatever combination you may have) are immovable, and cant be done away with. the answer is quite simple, you cannot go into a business for yourself.

Your first responsibility is to maintaining your family.

Let's assume you don't have one.

Then you need to see what you can cut. Smart Phone? Insurance? Car payment? what have you. Get it down to the bare minimums of what you need as a monthly salary to survive.

then include that number into your business plan as "overhead, owners draw", if you have a car, a boat a snowmobile, get rid of them. You need a truck, which will double as your personal vehicle, this cost will go into over head.

Equipment will be necessary, do not buy used equipment, I know it sounds tempting but, you are either all in or all out, not halfway testing the water with your feet.

Get your banking and loan secured before you do anything even close to quitting your current job or looking for customers.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCT View Post
I have been in the industry for 9 years now. My position right now is Supervisor/Manager.

I am from Greater Toronto Area, in Ontario. I have all my Trade tickets or lisences.

I know the in's and out's of the business but am tired of being the #2 guy, I want to start up for the spring.

My goal is for maybe 20 houses and 4-6 Condos and Industrial.

Just would like to hear words of advice, for getting the equipment and clients and business ideas.

Thanks Josh
Good for you dude! Well, stay on lawnsite. There's a lot of great information on here. I would start with a website, the sooner the better. It takes a while to get traction and google rankings so that would be my first step. Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Like others have said, don't under cut your current employer on his accounts. Wait a year or two before going after those accounts. Build your business slow and steady. Reputation is the key for us!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My wife works and either of our incomes could hold the house and then some. We used the others pay for savings.

I have no loans or anything along those lines.
I plan to stay with my current work place until, I have my bank loan final and the insurance and other loop holes finialized.

As for winter projects, that i would worry about next winter.

As I said before I do not want his customers, our area in a 30 mile radius is 2.2 million people, plenty of work.

I have realized that any person life i have will be out the window to make sure this venture works and my family and I are prepared for this.

What would be the best plan to do with my smart phone? Because i would assume that i need a large data plan for emails and minutes for talking? I was planning on using our house line as the office line to start?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

At&T has I phone and the new plan lets you have two lines and only pay $170 per month. Each additional line (if you need any for future employees) is $30 more bucks. Unlimited text and phone nation wide unto 4 gigs of data. Unless you are doing recreational data use (music/video) you would be surprised how little data you use. I use around 262 megs a month texting pics and email etc. My wife who just has her line for fun uses 2 gigs of data.

If i were you, id use the cells and business lines, you can set with At&t to set it up to defer calls to other lines (like the house phone) if you dont want to be disturbed while in a meeting or doing work. You can also send texts messages to those who are calling you saying "ill be right there" or "I cant talk right now ill call you soon" etc.
If you get an iPhone 4s or 5, you can use siri as a limited secretary. It's quite useful.