Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Fall seeding and recent discovery of grubs

I live in Massachusetts and am getting ready to slice seed my lawn. While dethatching in preparation I realized just how unhealthy my lawn was when. It chunks started coming up. With a little investigation it was evident that grubs have been feeding on my roots. What is the bed course of action for me? Can I put down a grub killer that will be effective at the same time my new seed is trying to take root? What should I do in the spring, etc. Brands and or active ingredients and % would be much appreciated. I believe I also want to start milky spore treatment but understand that takes multiple years to begin working so some immediate action is needed. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriver View Post
I live in Massachusetts and am getting ready to slice seed my lawn. While dethatching in preparation I realized just how unhealthy my lawn was when. It chunks started coming up. With a little investigation it was evident that grubs have been feeding on my roots. What is the bed course of action for me? Can I put down a grub killer that will be effective at the same time my new seed is trying to take root? What should I do in the spring, etc. Brands and or active ingredients and % would be much appreciated. I believe I also want to start milky spore treatment but understand that takes multiple years to begin working so some immediate action is needed. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
How many grubs per sq foot? Every lawn has a few.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Merit is a grub preventative. You might check with someone else as far as a good time to apply it.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dylox, (triclorfon) is the product of choice. Yes, you can use it without fear of affecting the seed. Five grubs per square foot requires treatment--less than that --maybe not.

You need a different product next year. Treat with Scotts Grub-X about next fourth of July--about when the grub eggs hatch. This prevention is better than the cure.
Typing at the same time as above. Merit acts like Grub-x, it also works fine, (if applied in July).

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-08-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: ps
Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Riggle,

That's very helpful, can dylox be obtained at home depot or lowes by any chance? If not, where? Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find it at Ace Hardware or home stores.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects...ub-killer-plus
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can get Dylox from John Deere Landscapes/Lesco. You are pretty close to two diferent locations, there is one in Walpole and one in Waltham, if you are going the other direction, there is also one in Marlborough.