Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Would love some professional advice

Hey guys, Im not a professional and never have been. Just a homeowner who loves to take care of my yard, which is why I joined this site (and i love it)

anyway, I have decided to do an entire backyard transformation this spring and Iv gotten alot done in the last 3 weeks considering Iv done it all myself - well my 10 year old son has helped a little

anyway, I live in a neighorhood and have a small yard, so most all the "ideas" Iv seen in magazines, tv shows, etc wouldnt work for me. So I kinda just took little things here and there that I liked and put them all together. You can see in my before picture, my yard was bare and nothing to it. Here is what Iv done

flagstone patio
finish pergola (stain, lights, etc)
outdoor kitchen
fixed fence (and bleached/stained cedar color)
hot tub
added little fountain, planters, etc

Now that Im basically done with all the "hard work", I want to do the fun stuff. I want to landscape and get the grass looking spectacular!

I basically have 2 areas I want to do something in and hopefully you can get an idea from the pictures I have on my phone.

1. the corner area with the bench. I removed all the overgrown plants and left only the purple tree and the other 2 things... Id like something in front and around the bench that will not be very invasive, stay low so you can see the bench, yet bring in color and maybe even attract butterflys for the kids

2. fence line. as you can see, my yard slops down quite a bit toward the fence. when standing up on the level part of my yard (where patio and hot tub is) you can see right down into the yard behind me and look the people face to face if they are outside. So I want to plant something along the fence line that will grow up and give me some privacy. I was thinking of 2-3 crape myrtles and keep them trimmed up as a tree shape. That way they give privacy above the fence line, yet do not take up much space in the yard since I do not have a very big yard. But my question is, I kinda want to do something around the crape myrtles and not just throw them in the middle of the grass... looking for ideas to either border the trees or do little garden area around them or something?

3. other corner of my yard where my big oak tree is, is completely bare. I guess because of all the shade it hasnt grown there. Last year i put down some st. augustine sod in some other spots of the yard, and its taking over. I think it might grow in this area so may put some sod down there. But should I just leave it all grass or anyone have any nice landscape ideas for down there?? There are 2 electrical boxes down there which kinda ruin things, but I know there are ways to hide them.

sorry it was long, but wanted to give background... thanks very much for any help/advice guys, id really appreciate it!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

i noticed none of the pictures I posted are completely updated, but it gives you an idea of the space Im talking about.

here are some pictures of all my hard work Iv done (still not completely updated pictures, but again you get the idea)
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

here is another before picture.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Give me a couple hours until I get out of this damn traffic jam in stuck in and I'll gladly do a photo rendering for you, it's free just promise to spread the word about my services when ever a friend asks you how you created such an amazing design

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where on earth did u find that fan btw

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks, still waiting to see what ya come up with.

and I got it at Sams Club a few years ago.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok starting from the left, endless summer hydrangea, 3 spreading plum yew, http://www.artificialrocksfactory.com/ covering the electrical box, gold dust acuba in the back, and a mixture of hosta and ferns.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bearded irisaround the bird bath, creeping phlox as a flowering ground cover, and 3 hornbeam maples for privacy

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

edit to the first

changed it up a little bit,

lenten rose around the rock, and cast iron plants around the tree

Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

alex, what program are you using?