Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do U select trees ... or just yank them off the row?

Was updating my home page today, and Youtube channel, to cover tree selection videos. Some older ones I did when down in Southern Oregon.

The nursery is a long visit for me, because I'm somewhat of a scrutinizer for tree and shrub selection.

youtube channel > M. D. Vaden Landscape Tree Selection

Anyone here more of a grab the end of the row and hit the road type purchaser?

For those who are pickers and choosers, what do you look for the most when selecting?

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

depends on the type of plant, where it is going, things like that. If I'm getting a $1,500 speciman tree I'm going to spend the time to go through it. A tree that is a focal point of the landscape, I'm going to spend time picking the one that has the structure that will fit best. Where as if I'm looking for Arbs for a screening wall, I am just going to call my order in to the nursery and have them pull the number I need. Same with smaller plants to. If I need 20 azaleas I will call in the order and then place them depending on their quality.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
depends on the type of plant, where it is going, things like that. If I'm getting a $1,500 speciman tree I'm going to spend the time to go through it. A tree that is a focal point of the landscape, I'm going to spend time picking the one that has the structure that will fit best. Where as if I'm looking for Arbs for a screening wall, I am just going to call my order in to the nursery and have them pull the number I need. Same with smaller plants to. If I need 20 azaleas I will call in the order and then place them depending on their quality.
Think I feel similar on the arbs.

The trunks are nearly completely shaded by foliage, erasing almost all possibility of sunburn, one of the things covered in the videos.

And generally arbs tend to look really good or look really bad. Not many are in the middle.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I allow what I've learned with Grades and Standards dictate my selections, after that will evaluate the candidates for final selection.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends. I like to pick and choose. some trees just look like **** and you gotta say "Ill pass". Sometimes my order gets pulled before I get there- And Im stuck with what they staff pull. Sometimes I can upgrade to the next size up if the tree selection is crap that I initially wanted to purchase.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I should add ...

Although I don't mind shrubs being selected for me ... say azaleas ... 90% of nursery workers don't have the training these days, the experience, or the know-how, to really do tree selection the right way.

So I select all my own trees, and larger shrubs with branch structures, like Rhododendrons.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My nursery is pretty good. They keep the top quality plants in the back for contractors, then they put the lower quality plants out for the retail customers. The only problem with this is when you bring a client with you, the wholesale area is not as organized as the retail sections
Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
My nursery is pretty good. They keep the top quality plants in the back for contractors, then they put the lower quality plants out for the retail customers. The only problem with this is when you bring a client with you, the wholesale area is not as organized as the retail sections
One problem Oregon has, and I wouldn't know about your area unless I was out there, is weaker unions due to bumping the growth rate.

Fertilizing distorts some trees from their natural form, and for most species in general, tends to force weak V shape unions rather than stronger U shape ones.

Like many flowering plums planted decades ago here in old neighborhoods, have wide reaching limbs with lovely U's.

But the newer stuff have gone more upward reaching with unions that pull apart much easier in wind.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a picky SOB so I like to hand pick everything. There is never a quick call to the grower or re-wholesaler telling them to send me a bunch of something. I'm like a kid in a candy store and like to really make sure I get the best candy. The most expensive candy I have ever selected was a $3200 60" box Live Oak that was 30' tall.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I'm a picky SOB so I like to hand pick everything. There is never a quick call to the grower or re-wholesaler telling them to send me a bunch of something. I'm like a kid in a candy store and like to really make sure I get the best candy. The most expensive candy I have ever selected was a $3200 60" box Live Oak that was 30' tall.

Something like that is sure rewarding to see once it's planted and graded around.