Register free!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I need to see if I can find someone that rents them around here. Oh! Great idea for the plywood catch. Thought that was pretty good McGyverin'.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ultra-simple plywood w/knee-brace came from thinking about a better way to load the machines Day & Night & i'm not kidding. Its all I ate, drank & slept for months. If you saw the stacks of various drawings & Google Images designs of poly-augers, conveyors, mulch mules, salt spreaders, live/walking floors, mini-skidsteer loaders, clamshell loaders, garbage trucks, livestock feeder wagons, paddle-wheels, tillers, reversed powerbrooms, snowthrowers, hydraulic rams, grapple trucks, mini-backhoes, giant leaf-vacs, etc. All those options and more thoroughly examined just to settle on a non-motorized basic wooden ramp for under $100. Being determined not to buy pricey machinery that would sit half the year while utilizing the two dumptrucks was the challenge. I almost couldn't believe the time & mental energy spent just to end on that. It felt ridiculous. So in short, thanks for your kind words, thankfully I was only out about $1200 in prototype welding & material work when the ramp simplicity lightbulb came on & I could stop everything else. It felt so good to finally have closure. Upon proof-reading my wife reminded me of the treadmill idea where 5 upside down treadmills would be attached to the ramp so as to propel the material out to the edge when activated individually. What a memory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 09-09-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi adam.neusbaum! The pictures say a 1000 words! But how do you have your ply wood shelf attached to the dump bed? Do you have brackets on the left and right side of the ply wood keeping it from sliding out from the weight of the compost?

Thanks! I would like to get a set up like yours.

And what spreader do you like better turfco like you have in your pictures or eco spreader?

Up here in Northern Illinois...we have a great compost supplier two miles from my house...and they sell nice, rice, super black compost for a penny a pound! They grind it up, so there is no chunks or other surprises in their compost.

I would like to custom order a dump trailer with an extra long A frame hitch so the spreader could mount right behind the trailer hitch, and where I could use the dump and it wouldn't interfere with the spreader if it's sitting on the A frame. Any idea what it might cost of an extra addition to the A frame hitch....since I'm asking ya'll a ton of questions????

Thanks again!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 09-11-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would love to get into compost topdressing. The benefits are HUGE.
Two things prevent me from going there now.

1) Cost of topdressing machines is absurd. High cost of entry

2) How to handle mass volume of material needed for this service.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you DA Quality Lawns....the spreaders are very high!!! And it doesn't seem like there is much to them either. At least not to justify their prices!!!

That is why I'm looking at the dump trailer and a longer A-frame so the spreader will be able to fit up front by the hitch. Use some ramps to get the spreader up to the platform, strap it down, and I think it would be a nice, clean, and a easy setup!

I would make the same attachment(ply-wood ramp) that Adam.N. has in the back of his dumps....it looks very easy and quick. Bring the spreader to the rear dump area, rake it into the hopper, and head back out into the lawn spreading compost.

So My game plan is this Spring is buy a compost spreader....but get the dump trailer soon if they will make a good deal. Looking at Beck's in MI.
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I would love to get into compost topdressing. The benefits are HUGE.
Two things prevent me from going there now.

1) Cost of topdressing machines is absurd. High cost of entry

2) How to handle mass volume of material needed for this service.
My sentiments exactly. That's why I'm looking to rent for the first few til the service starts selling itself. Not sure how much research you've done on this, but the app rates are around 1cu.yd. per 1k sq.ft so small to medium yds would be easily manageable.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The high cost to the client is bad enough, in trying upsell it... adding in the cost of a machine really pushes it over the top... be sure there is a steady client base b4 investment, because most clients won't buy it a second time...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cost of the eco lawn is obscene. Especially for all the tweaks we have had to make with it. Factor in putting a double wheel on back, replacing the conveyor belt, replacing the transaxel, and burning your fingers when shutting off the hopper opening. However, we do use the hell of them. We have two and put down near 1000 yrds of compost per year.

Take into consideration also that compost is heavy, around 1000 lbs a yard and even more if it's wet. If you were pushing your truck or trailer with 10 yards of mulch before, figure about 5 yards of compost.

The part that takes the longest is just keeping the machine filled. You can dump a whole hopper of compost in 30 seconds.

AdamN - I like your design with the ramp. I also looked into many options of conveyor etc to fill the machines. Never thought about the 5 treadmills
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallaxe,
The high cost of the product deliverys a high quality product. Most clients WILL buy a second and third and fourth time because they see the results. Especially after a summer like we had. However, I hope you continue to think like that so I can get those clients. Kidding we are in different areas.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper12 View Post
Smallaxe,
The high cost of the product deliverys a high quality product. Most clients WILL buy a second and third and fourth time because they see the results. Especially after a summer like we had. However, I hope you continue to think like that so I can get those clients. Kidding we are in different areas.
I understand what you're saying and you are absolutely correct... however:

People see results that they believe are perfect,,, from perpetual 'cides and constant water with fertilizers... I can see the benefits , but the h.o. sees only the shade of green... so ,,, "Why should I put compost on my lawn??? It looks perfect now..."