Register free!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In communities where they pay high water bills the moisture retention is a huge selling point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I understand what you're saying and you are absolutely correct... however:

People see results that they believe are perfect,,, from perpetual 'cides and constant water with fertilizers... I can see the benefits , but the h.o. sees only the shade of green... so ,,, "Why should I put compost on my lawn??? It looks perfect now..."
That's a good point. My current customer and all her neighbors are in a new wing of a community where all the houses have wonderfully rocky subsoil as topsoil, so they have an uphill climb to get to perfect.... That's where I come in.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Hi adam.neusbaum! The pictures say a 1000 words! But how do you have your ply wood shelf attached to the dump bed? Do you have brackets on the left and right side of the ply wood keeping it from sliding out from the weight of the compost?

Thanks! I would like to get a set up like yours.

And what spreader do you like better turfco like you have in your pictures or eco spreader?

Up here in Northern Illinois...we have a great compost supplier two miles from my house...and they sell nice, rice, super black compost for a penny a pound! They grind it up, so there is no chunks or other surprises in their compost.

I would like to custom order a dump trailer with an extra long A frame hitch so the spreader could mount right behind the trailer hitch, and where I could use the dump and it wouldn't interfere with the spreader if it's sitting on the A frame. Any idea what it might cost of an extra addition to the A frame hitch....since I'm asking ya'll a ton of questions????

Thanks again!!!
Sorry for the dark pic, getting dark earlier now. Very basic side bracket attachment for the plywood ramp, $11 each at Lowes. Just one drill hole on each side & drop a bolt or pin down thru the sheet to keep in place.
Something to consider, generally dump-trailers will have a low-profile compared to the back of a small dumptruck so your full-tilt wood edge may be very low unless you have it start further up inside the dump-body. One benefit to that may be then you could possibly use that back portion to park your eco-lawn sideways. If I were loading the truck myself each time I'd omit the crown and shoot for more of an even flat pile. This way I wouldn't have a ridge to contend with when going for gravity assist. Why work harder than necessary? My main goal from the start is to get that bed near full-tilt to start a good flow. I have got to find the time to install the Big Bertha Truck Vibrator, here's a link if you're wondering. BTW my dad thinks I'm nuts for buying this:
http://www.vibco.com/products/electr...ody%20Vibrator
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Just curious but approx. how many yds./lbs. do you spread on an avg. 1/4 acre lot (less the avg. house/driveway sq. ft.)?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 700 ft/coverage per yard. Most take 5-6 yds
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adam.N. What do you think about Earth and Turf Spreaders? Or do you like Turfco or Ecolawn better? Can you name good and bad of each one?
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Adam.N. What do you think about Earth and Turf Spreaders? Or do you like Turfco or Ecolawn better? Can you name good and bad of each one?
I haven't had the opportunity to try a E & T but I suppose it's a compact version of the Turfco. While drop-spreader types like the E & T & Turfco lay a nice even layer, sometimes you end up trying to rake any high-points in. My father had a bad habit of starting the conveyor before moving the machine which always created a little mound to rake out. The Eco slings it into the rootzone & therefore you can put more down without any follow up.

Unfortunately my compost supplier's power-screener has been down & the back-up one is junk so here's a pic of my own screener to separate any rubbish before spreading to save some headaches. A really clean soil comes out of this especially if I scoop up and re-screen a few buckets. $41 expanded metal & $30 in wood. I'd love to have a nice big clean slab to work on. Screening & drying will make a huge difference in efficiency. Clients occasionally suggest I need to change my trucks sign since it says the compost is $35 & here they are paying $55. I simply state that for $35/yard it's dumped in the driveway & they can spread it by hand or $55/yard & I'll use my machine to do it. They always choose the latter.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Besides installation I can clearly say that the $35/yard isn't clean screened like the $55 topdressing compost is. So it's a real bargain to have me do it all. Here's a pic of the finished product & of the garbage I'd previously attempt to rake out of the lawn. Every year I learn a little bit more. Forget fighting with the supplier for a better finished product, I'll just try & do it myself from now on.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well Guys, like I said in a different post, I've got Ecolawn coming out to my house next Monday (October 1st) to show me their new Ecolawn model 200.

It is big than the 100 model. The 200 has two discharge wheels...one turning right and one turning left....so when the material leaves the hopper...it has a better spraying pattern. The hopper is bigger...so you can carry more, and I thought they said it might have two engines???

Kevin from Ecolawn said it's a great machine....cost a little more...but it sounds like you are also getting more of a machine for that extra cost.

I hope to take a few pictures (if they let me)....otherwise he said set up a few yards and you can see what our new machine can do!!!

Oh yeah....this machine will be at GIE Expo also. So if it's as good as Kevin says it is, then I might be the 1st customer buying their Ecolawn 200.

I will keep you posted. 6 days and counting.....
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the scoop. I liked what you described about the new 200 model so much that I just went out this morning and bought one. Actually, im using it right now & its just great! Yeah, I wish. That's the feeling I always get with a new & improved piece of equipment. Owning a Dixie Chopper was tough 'cause they were always improving their models.
Posted via Mobile Device