Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I brought the truck to the ER boo

I just got thee old girl back (92 chev 3/4 ton) from the shop. They replaced the EGR valve and the guy said run some seafoam and high octane gas through it and should stop pinging in a few tanks. Well today it got worse and louder and now it is missing and I couldnt even go 40mph I had to come home early. I am ganna bring thee old girl back to the emergency room and see what the doc says. Hopefully its just a cold or mabe the flu and not stage 4 cancer HAHA. Than I will have huge medical bills HAHA. I all ready have huge medical bills since I am a stage 4 survivor myself WHOOHOO 6 months remission!!!
What do you guys think it is? any idea's so I can prepair myself for the bad news. luckly I just bought another truck a week ago. Mabe the old girl was jelouse of that truck. LOL

Talk to ya guys later!!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pinging is usually an indication of detonation or pre-ignition (spark plug firing before the piston is at top dead center). There can be other causes, but timing is one thing that should be checked. If it goes on long enough, it can cause piston damage.

Does your truck ever try to keep running after you turn the key off? As in, it just doesn't want to die after you kill it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

nope. It doesn't "diesal" after I shut it down but it is hard starting.I did a tune up last year cap,rotor,wires and plugs after that I think mabe I put 6000-8000 miles on it. truck doesnt get driven that much mabe 2-3 times a week and when it snow's
Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

hows the timing?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might try posting this under, chevy truck, on Plowsite. You get alot of help from there.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

well the doc said there is no compression on number 3 so I said stop what you doing the bill will be high enough.So I took it to a friends shop and I tore down the motor come to find out she blew the haead gasket between number 3 and 5. put it back together with new valve covers and a new aluminum intake cause the old one cast steel and rusty as hell. after a lil timming adjustment she ran great. she is hard starting though but once it warms up its a good runner. I am ganna change the temp sensor and see if that cures the problem.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good to see you got her fixed up. Make sure the timing is backed off just a degree or 2. If the timing chain is old and worn, it will make it harder to start. It won't generate as much heat as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend not going to the shop you originally had it checked out at.

Seafoam and premium gas is not going to fix anything. They had no business telling you that would make it all go away.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
I'd recommend not going to the shop you originally had it checked out at.

Seafoam and premium gas is not going to fix anything. They had no business telling you that would make it all go away.
They both will fix common carbon build up drive ability problems which could easily be a miss-fire or a weak/dead cylinder at idle. Carbon build up is one of the biggest causes of drive ability complaints. It's a lot cheaper to run some cleaner through the system then to rip the engine apart prematurely only to find carbon caked on the valves. I've had customers come in complaining of engine noise. I check it out and it's knocking. I investigate and find that carbon is so thick in the combustion chamber that a piece broke off and got stuck between the head and piston. Some BG44K in the hole and the noise was gone. Many other techs would have sold them a engine.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
They both will fix common carbon build up drive ability problems which could easily be a miss-fire or a weak/dead cylinder at idle. Carbon build up is one of the biggest causes of drive ability complaints. It's a lot cheaper to run some cleaner through the system then to rip the engine apart prematurely only to find carbon caked on the valves. I've had customers come in complaining of engine noise. I check it out and it's knocking. I investigate and find that carbon is so thick in the combustion chamber that a piece broke off and got stuck between the head and piston. Some BG44K in the hole and the noise was gone. Many other techs would have sold them a engine.
I don't entirely disagree with you, but when your customer came in with a complaint you investigated further to find the problem. You didn't send him out with bad advice.

I do disagree with you saying that premium gas will fix carbon build up. True it will cause less carbon to build up, but it won't reduce the amount of carbon that has already built up.

If the tech truly believed that it was a carbon build up issue the then he could have ran a true fuel system cleaner through the engine while it was there, rather than telling the customer to use seafoam.

Furthermore the tech could have used both a compression tester and/or leak down tester to catch this problem before it got worse and save the customer the trouble of being stuck with a truck with extreme drive-ability issues.

You seem to be an intelligent guy. Can you honestly say that if a truck had come in with a similar issue, you would have been comfortable telling the customer "go buy some seafoam and put premium gas in it and it should be fine"??? I sure hope not, which comes back to my point: I'd recommend not going to the shop you originally had it checked out at.