Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another question. It looks like on the transmitter on pipe horn transmitter, you don't have to clamp to anything.

Working on a site tomorrow where the tracer wire on the 2" gas line is broken. I told STS about it, but somehow they still marked it. It sure would be nice to be able to verify their marks with my locator.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

now don't get all bent because i am just trying to be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Working on a site tomorrow where the tracer wire on the 2" gas line is broken.
how do you know it's broken? did you use a STE measurement to verify the compromise? you should be able to trace it to the break.
Quote:
I told STS about it, but somehow they still marked it.
you bet they did. they used a combination of widely accepted methods to get paint on the ground as accurately as possible.
Quote:
It sure would be nice to be able to verify their marks with my locator.

yes it would.

here is where the problems rear their ugly heads and start biting your ass. without thousands of hours of tracing under your belt about all you can raise doubts if you don't agree with the paint. i am not trying to discourage you from retracing all of the utilities that you can. it takes years of actual tracing to become solid with a locator.

i made it a policy to retrace the paint the day before digging just in case there was too much difference between their target and mine i could postpone the excavation and get the locate squared away.

it takes time to learn how locating works. locate often and locate correctly is the best path to follow.

have fun with the 2 inch, they will go boom so i am told.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
now don't get all bent because i am just trying to be helpful. how do you know it's broken? did you use a STE measurement to verify the compromise? you should be able to trace it to the break. you bet they did. they used a combination of widely accepted methods to get paint on the ground as accurately as possible.

yes it would.

here is where the problems rear their ugly heads and start biting your ass. without thousands of hours of tracing under your belt about all you can raise doubts if you don't agree with the paint. i am not trying to discourage you from retracing all of the utilities that you can. it takes years of actual tracing to become solid with a locator.

i made it a policy to retrace the paint the day before digging just in case there was too much difference between their target and mine i could postpone the excavation and get the locate squared away.

it takes time to learn how locating works. locate often and locate correctly is the best path to follow.

have fun with the 2 inch, they will go boom so i am told.
Posted via Mobile Device
The exavation foreman told me that STS could not find it when they started their work so they had their private locator come in and find where it was broken and trace it from there. The locator did not mark on the last locate I called in(working on another part of the site). When the locator got out there this time, he called me and verified that he picked it up, so not sure why they could not find it the first time.

I talked to a gas co employee I saw checking utility markings on Friday and told him about the tracer break, and he said if the locator cannot locate the tracer line, they will come out and repair the break and locate the gas line. BUT I guess they were able to trace it, so I hope they are accurate. There is about a 8' section I guess we will do by hand. Supposedly it is 42" deep, but I need to learn spanish for "boom!"
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Said loudly enough "BOOM" is universal.

best of luck to you and your crew
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so is "watch the train"
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talked to sts locator today at the jobsite and they located gas line with a pipehorn. Pretty neat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Talked to sts locator today at the jobsite and they located gas line with a pipehorn. Pretty neat.
Posted via Mobile Device
i can guaranty that there was more to the locate than you saw or were told.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
So, what's the way (if any) to avoid that happening to other poor souls?
You would think that in this day and age that there would be some foolproof way of protecting people in a body of water. There are many things that can make it unsafe for someone to enter a body of water or be around a body of water. Here is a link that talks about it.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/su...ng-area-42111/
Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought a pipehorn for $450 on ebay. Anybody using these to trace irrigation wire?

I bought a new greenlee fault locator for $600 a month ago and havent had a broken wire since. Probably be the case with this pipehorn. Buy it and wont have a private powerline to trace for months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a good locator is worth it, if only to confirm regular gas line locates you called in ~ me, I like to know how deep a hazard is