Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
rain of course was not in the picture when i pulled the pipe, hence i was not worried about doing two at once with one machine rental. .it is what it is though.

in the end, i think i like trenching much much better. easy as pie to install and fit together. plus, nothing is under tension for possible failures. no digging down to connect, no nothing, just trench, dig a small amount to set the neads, and test.backfill.done
I wouldn't give up on it so quick. I have only pulled a few jobs so far, and when we switch to poly, we really cut the time down. And my guys haven't started pulling multiple pipes yet.

When I pulled pvc, it took longer than trenching pvc. When I used poly it took the same amount of time as trenching on the first job. So I think it will get much faster. I think we will really start to cut the time down when we get a little more experience under our belt.

And look into these, I will never use another chinese grip.

http://www.dawnindustries.com/index....d=5&item_id=98
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,377
Once you get good with your machine , you will be able to put in 1500 to 2000 feet of pvc in 3 to 4 hours . I pull the pipe , my helper is installing heads , generally by noon the pipe is in , helper has 12 to 15 heads in , after lunch i do valve manifolds . And helper is still on heads . He was a poly guy at his old job and he loves the speed and ease of pvc . PVC means no pipe to unroll , or twist or streach .
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Once you get good with your machine , you will be able to put in 1500 to 2000 feet of pvc in 3 to 4 hours . I pull the pipe , my helper is installing heads , generally by noon the pipe is in , helper has 12 to 15 heads in , after lunch i do valve manifolds . And helper is still on heads . He was a poly guy at his old job and he loves the speed and ease of pvc . PVC means no pipe to unroll , or twist or streach .
Well you still have to glue the pipe together, and the poly seems to pull easier in clay. I don't like the pvc bc it seems to get in a bind at valve connection and the angles have to be right whereas poly is alot more forgiving. I had problems getting the angle just right at the valve box and cutting in Ts and getting those angle just right.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Well you still have to glue the pipe together, and the poly seems to pull easier in clay. I don't like the pvc bc it seems to get in a bind at valve connection and the angles have to be right whereas poly is alot more forgiving. I had problems getting the angle just right at the valve box and cutting in Ts and getting those angle just right.
Pvc is actually smoother than poly , it should be easier , Sounds like your bullett on your blade is too small . If you are pulling straight to or from a valve box try pulling along side the valve box and use 90's , quick neat and simple , it gives pleanty of room for adjustment. cutting in a tee and installing a head takes about 2 minutes after the hole is dug if you cut right and glue and snap have the head and funny pipe cut and all put together in 1 shot . I am 50 and my helper is 49 , I work as smart as I can . I used poly in the past , I wont ever go back . Gluing pipe , lay 3 bundles of 200 feet end to end and glue up sections of 60 feet in 10 minutes , add pipe to runs as necessary .

Last edited by Mdirrigation; 09-03-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 PM
djt22 djt22 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 113
Don't over think it if you are used to pushing and pulling just add the use of a spade to push the pipe back and forth between holes with one guy on one end and another at the glue end. Use the back side of the spade jabbing it in the ground at a slight angle to allow you to push it towards the hole with the glued fitting on it. *Always do the end head last of course. A lot easier than beating up your foot all day....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Pvc is actually smoother than poly , it should be easier , Sounds like your bullett on your blade is too small . If you are pulling straight to or from a valve box try pulling along side the valve box and use 90's , quick neat and simple , it gives pleanty of room for adjustment. cutting in a tee and installing a head takes about 2 minutes after the hole is dug if you cut right and glue and snap have the head and funny pipe cut and all put together in 1 shot . I am 50 and my helper is 49 , I work as smart as I can . I used poly in the past , I wont ever go back . Gluing pipe , lay 3 bundles of 200 feet end to end and glue up sections of 60 feet in 10 minutes , add pipe to runs as necessary .
You dont use saddle ts or blazing saddles?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I wouldn't give up on it so quick. I have only pulled a few jobs so far, and when we switch to poly, we really cut the time down. And my guys haven't started pulling multiple pipes yet.

When I pulled pvc, it took longer than trenching pvc. When I used poly it took the same amount of time as trenching on the first job. So I think it will get much faster. I think we will really start to cut the time down when we get a little more experience under our belt.

And look into these, I will never use another chinese grip.

http://www.dawnindustries.com/index....d=5&item_id=98
once ya get used to it , pulling a 6 zone system takes about 45 min to an hr.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
lawns Etc's Avatar
lawns Etc lawns Etc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Elmer NJ
Posts: 2,271
As long as your bullet is larger than the pipe it should still push and pull fairly easy. We dig 18" square blocks of soil out to put in the fittings and its usually pretty easy to push and pull into the fittings.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
You dont use saddle ts or blazing saddles?
Nope , regular threaded tees , cut glue and snap right in . saddle tees or blazing saddles arent worth the money , a pvc tee cost me less than 20 cents. Saddle tees require you to drill , the battries are always dead and then you have to flush the pipe cause the shavings are a pia.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Nope , regular threaded tees , cut glue and snap right in . saddle tees or blazing saddles arent worth the money , a pvc tee cost me less than 20 cents. Saddle tees require you to drill , the battries are always dead and then you have to flush the pipe cause the shavings are a pia.
you sure about the cost of a threaded 1" T? I think I pay closer to 70 cents and a saddle is about $1. I have been doing a cost anlysis between pvc and poly... so I "think" that number is right.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.08036 seconds with 7 queries