Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Let us know how it works out I want something that can be controlled to at least a 50% position, grass flap slaps up metal to metal contact and down on the chute pretty hard will eventually cause metal to wear on stopper, the cover flap, and deck.

Just from seeing the videos and metal fab experience it will lead to thinning your chute metal at some point with the contact it makes you can clearly hear how loud it is in the videos.

Not bashing the product just some things to keep in mind for long term use
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

To the OP, sorry for getting off subject.
(Southern tide please PM me for any other questions.)
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 06-30-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The motor fix listed in the Power Chute Design website is only a band-aid fix to reset a motor after it has been slightly tweaked. If a motor has taken a sizeable impact then motor is toast. It is no cure all and has nothing to do with the motors that ship new. I am aware that Power Chute has had a very bad year with a 'new motor' being shipped this year that has ended up being a disaster. The two samples tested well over the winter, but not such great success with the line motor received for consumer use. That is over. They have stopped shipping the current motor.

They have gone back to their old supplier used over the past several years with much more reliable motors. But, they are in the process of designing there own motors as they now have enough sales to justify the added costs and volumes needed for such a venture.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

Stan
Nice was not aware of the bumper stops.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a View Post
The motor fix listed in the Power Chute Design website is only a band-aid fix to reset a motor after it has been slightly tweaked. If a motor has taken a sizeable impact then motor is toast. It is no cure all and has nothing to do with the motors that ship new. I am aware that Power Chute has had a very bad year with a 'new motor' being shipped this year that has ended up being a disaster. The two samples tested well over the winter, but not such great success with the line motor received for consumer use. That is over. They have stopped shipping the current motor.

They have gone back to their old supplier used over the past several years with much more reliable motors. But, they are in the process of designing there own motors as they now have enough sales to justify the added costs and volumes needed for such a venture.
This is good news. If they can beef up the weak areas on the motor they will have a great product.

On another note, a local guy is building ocdc's for the dealer I use. His units use a garage door opener motor. Very strong, but a bit slow.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Stan
You can partially open the chute. Just close it then press lightly on the pedal to open it as far as you want to. then when you get ready to open it fully just let off the pedal and press it fully to open it completely.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayb39667 View Post
You can partially open the chute. Just close it then press lightly on the pedal to open it as far as you want to. then when you get ready to open it fully just let off the pedal and press it fully to open it completely.
I started to add that point but since I was maybe a little off topic I tried to cut the post short.

But yes, you can hold the GF chute door partially open for a short time (by closing the GF and then holding the pedal partially down to anything below 90 the degrees (half open) position). But, any thing above 90 degrees will cause it to automatically open. It wouldn't be practical to hold the door partially for extended periods of time so that's another eason I didn't mention that.
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 06-30-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Subscribed! I've been wanting a power chute but I'm going to see how this plays out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Stan
I sent you a PM Stan

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkav View Post
Subscribed! I've been wanting a power chute but I'm going to see how this plays out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dude, get a chute man!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This years Power Chute motor problems are definitely over as the new motor that was switched to this spring has been discontinued as of a few days ago. The same motors used the past four years are now being used and the first of the 'Power Chute designed' motors are finishing production now. So, at the worse, the same durable motors as in past years no being used with better in-house designed motors coming soon.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa