Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Let us know how it works out I want something that can be controlled to at least a 50% position, grass flap slaps up metal to metal contact and down on the chute pretty hard will eventually cause metal to wear on stopper, the cover flap, and deck.

Just from seeing the videos and metal fab experience it will lead to thinning your chute metal at some point with the contact it makes you can clearly hear how loud it is in the videos.

Not bashing the product just some things to keep in mind for long term use
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

To the OP, sorry for getting off subject.
(Southern tide please PM me for any other questions.)
Stan
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!

Last edited by StanWilhite; 06-30-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM
gl1200a gl1200a is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Coralville, Iowa
Posts: 518
The motor fix listed in the Power Chute Design website is only a band-aid fix to reset a motor after it has been slightly tweaked. If a motor has taken a sizeable impact then motor is toast. It is no cure all and has nothing to do with the motors that ship new. I am aware that Power Chute has had a very bad year with a 'new motor' being shipped this year that has ended up being a disaster. The two samples tested well over the winter, but not such great success with the line motor received for consumer use. That is over. They have stopped shipping the current motor.

They have gone back to their old supplier used over the past several years with much more reliable motors. But, they are in the process of designing there own motors as they now have enough sales to justify the added costs and volumes needed for such a venture.
__________________
Coral Lawn Care
JD 797 Z-Trak 72" Deck
Lesco Stander
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 PM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

To the OP, sorry for getting off subject.
(Southern tide please PM me for any other questions.)
Stan
Nice was not aware of the bumper stops.
__________________

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)



All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM
sjessen sjessen is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a View Post
The motor fix listed in the Power Chute Design website is only a band-aid fix to reset a motor after it has been slightly tweaked. If a motor has taken a sizeable impact then motor is toast. It is no cure all and has nothing to do with the motors that ship new. I am aware that Power Chute has had a very bad year with a 'new motor' being shipped this year that has ended up being a disaster. The two samples tested well over the winter, but not such great success with the line motor received for consumer use. That is over. They have stopped shipping the current motor.

They have gone back to their old supplier used over the past several years with much more reliable motors. But, they are in the process of designing there own motors as they now have enough sales to justify the added costs and volumes needed for such a venture.
This is good news. If they can beef up the weak areas on the motor they will have a great product.

On another note, a local guy is building ocdc's for the dealer I use. His units use a garage door opener motor. Very strong, but a bit slow.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
jrayb39667 jrayb39667 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

To the OP, sorry for getting off subject.
(Southern tide please PM me for any other questions.)
Stan
You can partially open the chute. Just close it then press lightly on the pedal to open it as far as you want to. then when you get ready to open it fully just let off the pedal and press it fully to open it completely.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayb39667 View Post
You can partially open the chute. Just close it then press lightly on the pedal to open it as far as you want to. then when you get ready to open it fully just let off the pedal and press it fully to open it completely.
I started to add that point but since I was maybe a little off topic I tried to cut the post short.

But yes, you can hold the GF chute door partially open for a short time (by closing the GF and then holding the pedal partially down to anything below 90 the degrees (half open) position). But, any thing above 90 degrees will cause it to automatically open. It wouldn't be practical to hold the door partially for extended periods of time so that's another eason I didn't mention that.
Stan
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!

Last edited by StanWilhite; 06-30-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 AM
mpkav mpkav is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 107
Subscribed! I've been wanting a power chute but I'm going to see how this plays out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 AM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
No problem with wear since the pieces of metal just contact with no sliding or any other sort of action (since it's connected to the deck and nothing else) that could cause wear. (Mounts and operates just like the power chute but it's done manually (as opposed to electrically) by foot.

But, it actually comes with a little rubber bumper to soften the sound when opening it from a closed position, but that is for deadening the sound of the flap bumping on the metal stop only...I didn't even bother to add the bumper since the sound of opening or closing it can't really be heard over the noise of the mower anyway.

The flap opens a full 180 degrees and can be used in full "open" or "closed" position only...no in between (as the Power Chute can).

To the OP, sorry for getting off subject.
(Southern tide please PM me for any other questions.)
Stan
I sent you a PM Stan
__________________

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)



All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Bumpmaster's Avatar
Bumpmaster Bumpmaster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkav View Post
Subscribed! I've been wanting a power chute but I'm going to see how this plays out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dude, get a chute man!
__________________
Lawnman
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 PM
gl1200a gl1200a is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Coralville, Iowa
Posts: 518
This years Power Chute motor problems are definitely over as the new motor that was switched to this spring has been discontinued as of a few days ago. The same motors used the past four years are now being used and the first of the 'Power Chute designed' motors are finishing production now. So, at the worse, the same durable motors as in past years no being used with better in-house designed motors coming soon.
__________________
Coral Lawn Care
JD 797 Z-Trak 72" Deck
Lesco Stander
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.12710 seconds with 8 queries