Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Building up truck walls for Debris loader in interest of fall cleanups

Im thinking that this season i am going to bunch of my eggs into a tow behind debris loader and get a walk behind blower.More specifically im looking at the billy goat walkbehind blower and tow behind debris loader. I have no knowledge in building up walls for the back of my f250 8' box bed. Can't be that difficult ? Not sure how high i can build up the walls though for legal reasons. I want to be able to take this apparatus down when im done with fall cleans so i can plow with my salter/sander in the back; So nothing permant. Is this costly? Again the reason im thining about doing this is to haul away the leaves and sticks and such from the properties. What are your guy's thoughts about the billy goat brand? How about the F9 or F13 walk behind blowers? How about debris loaders as a whole, are they all that great? How many modest sized properties can you pick up and haul away with a walls built up on a 8' box bed? The debris loader i had my eyes on was the billy goat 25/35hp DL. Please incite me!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello. I am going to be building a box for the bed of my truck. Of course it will be removeable. I want to be able to store it when not in use. Plywood, 2x4's hinges and screws. The height will probably just be the 4'. Just to keep it simple...three sides and then the end at the tail gate will hinge open or swing open after letting down the tailgate. (To remove the debris. Mostly leaves.)
This..now don't laugh will be on my ranger. I know it won't hold a lot but I will be out making money and building as I grow. Trying to stay debt free. All other stuff will be on the trailer.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the equipment you want. Never used it so I don't know anything about it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Build the walls like the walls in a house. And Use galvanized hardware so you can remove it when your done!

I did this last season on my f-150. A leaf loader is a great advantage. I have one you mount to the hitch and it does fit more. Be ready for your truck to squat!

Good luck everyone
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a question for you guys that have dealt with a leaf loader and box.

Do you fully enclose the box with a small vent or just use a mesh tarp for the top. I've seen them both ways and would like to hear some pros and cons.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For a little f250 pickup that loader is major overkill your going to have a 8-9 yard box on a truck like that I think you'd be better off with a 16-19hp swing away.

I wouldn't make the total high over 6 feet that includes the pick up sides any higher and besides looking real weird it could be unstable. You have 2 options you can make the walls and roof parts so they bolt together when you wish to build the box this is what we do with both of our boxes. Or since this is a pickup you can in this case perhaps make the box so it can be removed in one piece but this require either a machine or 4 guys.

I have both the traditional screens on one truck and on my newest box I have a doubled up bulldog mess tarp. I made a single large window with the frame crossing the window in a few spots so I have split windows it looks bad ass. And is strong enough to walk on which is the main reason I went that rout the old aluminum screens get a major rip from time to time.

The bigger the vac the bigger the vent you will need I found this out my very first season. We bought a 20 hp giant vac and made our box then when we got to the first lawn we discovered the vent was way to small. So every time we fired up the vac the roof would get a huge kick and would visibly move and the rear gate didn't have enough hing straps on the sides. So we developed a huge leak on the very first lawn luckily we had are all time most useless employee there. We had him sit on the roof which was 10 ft up with a sweatshirt wrapped around his leg and his job was to keep his leg in the gaping hole when the vac was on and block as much as he could. So every time we revered it up we would see the air fill up the box and hit with such force as to lift him into the air 6 inches. Obviously we cut a new vent that very night when we got home but you can see what seems like a minor problem can become a major one in the right circumstances.