Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have to have use arborist to trim trees?

I'm still in the process of gathering information to start a tree trimming business and have a couple questions. Should you use an arborist for every job. If not, is there an easy way to tell when you might need one. I have trimmed many trees before and never used them, but every big name tree service website seems to use them.
Next question, is it a good idea to start a tree trimming service at the end of fall/beginning of winter? Pros and cons?
Thanks for your time!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What to you mean use an Arborist? i would say 99% of legit tree companies are owned by a licensed arborist. you need to check with your state laws regarding tree trimming. even before i became a licensed arborist i advised all my lawn/landscape customers to check for insurance and license when hiring a tree company. i will bet there are more tree hacks than lawn boys. every a$$ with a home cheapo chainsaw thinks they are a tree company after a storm. im not trying to be an a$$hole, but it seems you need to do some more research first. check arboristsite.com alot of knowledgeable guys on there.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ISA.com has information on Certified Arborist requirements, also look into Dr. Alex Shigo for pruning information.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a great question, I will add this. Go and look at some of tree companies work in your area. There are a few big companies here that are ISA certified that do garbage work. Take off way to much on hardwoods, hack up palms, etc. just like lco's most "professional" tree companies suck. They may have 1 or 2 ISA cert. arborists on staff, but that doesn't mean **** to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

90% of the companies trimming trees don't have any idea what you are talking about.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
90% of the companies trimming trees don't have any idea what you are talking about.
And that's the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use an arborist?

Does every tree trimming job require an arborist? The simple answer is no! However, if you are unsure about a tree job, then you should call in an arborist. To get the knowledge you need, I would start with your state's extension service to find out about any seminars they might have on trees. Here in AR, our extension service has at least one or two seminars each year on trees. You might also check out your local university about any classes they might present on trees. I have gone through the extension service Master Gardener program and attended special classes that just deal with trees. I do some tree trimming, but with the knowledge I have, I know when to call in a certified arborist. Most of the true "tree trimming" jobs I see done, it's obvious from looking at the way the limbs were cut that the person doing the trimming had no clue as to the proper way to trim off a tree limb.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We take low limbs and do a little hacking but I also contract with an arborist for most big jobs.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Sponsor

You have Two choices. Hire out all of your tree work to some one else who is certified ISA. Second you can go to school part time and learn as you go to become certified yourself one day. Either choiceis viable for now pick and choose.
easy-lift guy