Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topturfhsv View Post
Enclosed trailers are nice to have and I liked mine when I had it but a box truck is hands down far better than an enclosed. A box truck has all the benefits listed here that enclosed have but also easier to drive and manuver due to a better turning radius. If you buy a good heavy duty truck and a decent enclosed, it will be more than buying a good used box truck. Also, box trucks are usually better on fuel but is not like thats expensive or anything lol....that's the reason I sold mine this year and will be buying a box truck this spring.
All the lil box trucks I've seen are diesel,and thats $4.40 here. And a tank that you could put a small lake in. And I priced used NPR's a dirt cheap one is running 15k.

You can get a super good used pick-up and 16-18ft trailer for a 1/2 the cost.
I see nice used trucks in the 5k range and a trailer for $ 2,500 max!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Apparently your research on box trucks has been very little. A quick search will show you there are just as many gas burner box trucks as diesels. Several people on this site have gas burners. Also, take some time to do your research on price and you will see several on the internet in the 8k-12k range for box trucks in very good shape and lower mileage. Box trucks get between 11-14 mpg and that's what most trucks get pulling an enclosed as well. Do some research.....
Good luck getting a heavy duty truck that is reliable and dependable for 5k! I'm not a big fan of broken down equipment all the time. I have researched and owned enclosed trailers and no you can't get one for 2500 max! You can get a very used one with several miles on it and not a very good brand for hopefully $2500. If you like old beat up equipment that isn't dependable, then your plan might work!

2009 GMC Sierra Z71
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro Z Master 52"
Toro Grandstand 48"
Stihl FS-90 Trimmers
Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl FC90 Edgers
2 Open Trailers
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Here ya go....I did a quick 2 minute search for you for box trucks that are gas burners under 12k....and those lil box trucks come with boxes 20ft. or larger. Google is amazing!

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...000&type=light

2009 GMC Sierra Z71
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro Z Master 52"
Toro Grandstand 48"
Stihl FS-90 Trimmers
Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl FC90 Edgers
2 Open Trailers
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine for all the reasons listed. Definatly get the 8.5ft wide, thats the only thing I would change. 16ft long fits in most places without blocking a drive.....The inside pic was when I first set the trailer up 7 years ago. Still looks the same, just not as clean. The other pic is from last fall when this truck was lettered.
Attached Images

Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Here ya go....I did a quick 2 minute search for you for box trucks that are gas burners under 12k....and those lil box trucks come with boxes 20ft. or larger. Google is amazing!

I run a enclosed and was thing about a box truck. All the one's I saw were 15k and over. The ones you posted are priced right,but there gotta be a catch.
Mabe the prices I saw were higher due to them being diesel. And the ones you listed are on the other side of the country. Shipping aint gonna be free!

And you can get a nice used truck in the 5k range here in NC. You can also get a nice used trailer for 2,500,Ive seen them.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Apparently your research on box trucks has been very little. A quick search will show you there are just as many gas burner box trucks as diesels. Several people on this site have gas burners. Also, take some time to do your research on price and you will see several on the internet in the 8k-12k range for box trucks in very good shape and lower mileage. Box trucks get between 11-14 mpg and that's what most trucks get pulling an enclosed as well. Do some research.....
Good luck getting a heavy duty truck that is reliable and dependable for 5k! I'm not a big fan of broken down equipment all the time. I have researched and owned enclosed trailers and no you can't get one for 2500 max! You can get a very used one with several miles on it and not a very good brand for hopefully $2500. If you like old beat up equipment that isn't dependable, then your plan might work!
Dont know about where you live but deals are out there.
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/grd/3220982986.html

And that's a 24ft monster!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Here ya go!
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3272183967.html

Your not gonna beat that price. Ya gonna be using it as a work truck.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
I run a enclosed and was thing about a box truck. All the one's I saw were 15k and over. The ones you posted are priced right,but there gotta be a catch.
Mabe the prices I saw were higher due to them being diesel. And the ones you listed are on the other side of the country. Shipping aint gonna be free!

And you can get a nice used truck in the 5k range here in NC. You can also get a nice used trailer for 2,500,Ive seen them.
I see you're from NC and if you would of looked closely you can see there are several on there in Georgia. But that list was from one search. If you want one, check craigslist for your area or any major cities around you....there are tons around here for sale and at a good deal. And no there's not a catch on every one that's a good deal. Maybe they are just ready to get rid of them and something newer?
Your definition of a "nice" truck and mine are obviously different. You won't find a nice dependable truck for 5k! by nice I mean under 80k miles, diesel engine, and heavy duty such as an F250 or Chev. 2500. All 5k will leave you is broke down on side of the road.

2009 GMC Sierra Z71
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro Z Master 52"
Toro Grandstand 48"
Stihl FS-90 Trimmers
Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl FC90 Edgers
2 Open Trailers
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
Here ya go!
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3272183967.html

Your not gonna beat that price. Ya gonna be using it as a work truck.
That's gonna cost you more than $2500.....as it states in the ad it needs a new axel which is $400. Making it $2900! And that's before you have to buy your trimmer holders, shelves, etc. if you don't already have those. Either way....ya gonna pay more than $2500 for it.

2009 GMC Sierra Z71
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro Z Master 52"
Toro Grandstand 48"
Stihl FS-90 Trimmers
Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl FC90 Edgers
2 Open Trailers
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That's gonna cost you more than $2500.....as it states in the ad it needs a new axel which is $400. Making it $2900! And that's before you have to buy your trimmer holders, shelves, etc. if you don't already have those. Either way....ya gonna pay more than $2500 for it.
This reply was for the trailer and not the truck....

Btw, you think that 4.7 liter is really gonna haul that 24 ft. enclosed??? Not a chance....but you first have to put a new axel on the trailer!

2009 GMC Sierra Z71
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro Z Master 52"
Toro Grandstand 48"
Stihl FS-90 Trimmers
Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl FC90 Edgers
2 Open Trailers