Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topturfhsv View Post
I see you're from NC and if you would of looked closely you can see there are several on there in Georgia. But that list was from one search. If you want one, check craigslist for your area or any major cities around you....there are tons around here for sale and at a good deal. And no there's not a catch on every one that's a good deal. Maybe they are just ready to get rid of them and something newer?
Your definition of a "nice" truck and mine are obviously different. You won't find a nice dependable truck for 5k! by nice I mean under 80k miles, diesel engine, and heavy duty such as an F250 or Chev. 2500. All 5k will leave you is broke down on side of the road.
Yup we differ in the whats a nice truck...Me I'm not gonna spend over 5k for a truck thats gonna beat all to hell every day. I see some guys go drop 50k on a off the lot, new penny shiney truck. To each their own.

That lil dodge 1500 is a steal for under 4k. To be honest I'm gonna give the guy a call monday.I dont need a truck but at that price its hard to beat.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would get a an enclosed, but there are two things that stop me whenever I start to look at them. I can easily put debris in it, and gassing up. While the gassing up thing really isn't a big deal(5 extra mi uses in my day wouldn't kill me) but the debris would. I wish I could have both

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

4.7L will not handle an enclosed for long. If this is purely a work truck then get a truck built for work lol. Not a truck built for family use and the trip to home depot now and then for lumber (which is what half tons are built for). I spent 11k on my f250 with 120k miles, perfect body, fully loaded, and the 7.3L diesel. That thing will probably last another 200k miles pulling the trailer daily. You'll go through 5 of those trucks 1500 rams pulling a loaded enclosed trailer and probably 10 transmissions before mine dies generally speaking. And remember, a break down not only costs money for repairs, but much more money in lost time. Don't go cheap and make it work, buy what you need that WILL work. BTW no way in hell would I ever drop 50k on a work truck lol. Just make sure what you get is *built to handle* what you want to do. Not *well it could do it*.

Also one thing to add, with a box truck thats pretty much all you have, a truck for mowing. A pickup can be used for anything and not just a mowing crew. For 100% purely mowing i can see the benifits of a box truck but if you plan to use it for *anything* else, go with a truck/trailer combo.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&SLawnCare View Post
4.7L will not handle an enclosed for long. If this is purely a work truck then get a truck built for work lol. Not a truck built for family use and the trip to home depot now and then for lumber (which is what half tons are built for). I spent 11k on my f250 with 120k miles, perfect body, fully loaded, and the 7.3L diesel. That thing will probably last another 200k miles pulling the trailer daily. You'll go through 5 of those trucks 1500 rams pulling a loaded enclosed trailer and probably 10 transmissions before mine dies generally speaking. And remember, a break down not only costs money for repairs, but much more money in lost time. Don't go cheap and make it work, buy what you need that WILL work. BTW no way in hell would I ever drop 50k on a work truck lol. Just make sure what you get is *built to handle* what you want to do. Not *well it could do it*.

Also one thing to add, with a box truck thats pretty much all you have, a truck for mowing. A pickup can be used for anything and not just a mowing crew. For 100% purely mowing i can see the benifits of a box truck but if you plan to use it for *anything* else, go with a truck/trailer combo.
I pulled my trailer for 5 years with a half ton silverado with a 4.3 litre....did just fine...
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok ran open 12,s 16's and 18's until I was able to purchase two brand new 2003 carmate 20' enclosed trailers each equipped with generator boxes for gas cans two large shelves for tools hedge trimmers and chainsaws coolers and misc extra items ( blades power broom paddles ect ) weed whacker racks blowers racks shovel & rake racks 60" rider 60" walk behind 48" walk behind and a small push mower... Point being they were heavy. Had my Chevy 2004 2500 HD pulling one and my 2004 ford f350 dump desiel pulling the other . Both got 8-10 mpg pulling approx. My ford has 70k on it and is in mint cond. just ha to sell the Chevy. It wa destroyed by the heavy enclosed trailer ( cracked the tranny in half this year and the motor was weak as hell 80k miles )our routes got a little spaced out and fuel was destroying us. So ya know what. I knocked off the dust off our 12' and 16'. I saved 110 $ per week per truck that's 880$ per month. Guess what I put that $ off to the side and upgraded two mowers for free pretty much ( after selling the two 07 walk behinds and putting the rest of the saved $ on two exmark 60" standers) best mowers ever btw. For the record I miss my enclosed trailers. But 880 per month!!!! Save in fuel!!! I will always use my enclosed trailers for spring and call cleanup that's a given. U need to have everything on board in those seasons!!! So if u have the $ have multiple trailers for different seasons then utilize them as much as u can. . Jmo
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by WorldsStrongestLandscaper; 09-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.