Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessLawns View Post
Hey guys I'm extremely new to this industry and very young. I'm 18. I still have another year of high school to get through. I plan on getting a business management degree with a focus in entrepreneurship. However, I have recently found myself torn between going ahead with that, and getting a degree in horticulture. I'm just wondering if you guys think that it would be at all possible to get schooling in both? Whether that be just getting the business degree while doing the seminar/some classes/reading kind of self taught approach...or actually going through and getting my business degree and then getting a hort degree on top of that...?? Any advice on this or hell, anything regarding this industry would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Lane
Lane,

You might consider a Hort Major and maybe a Minor in business if you ware wanting to get a degree in both. I had 1/2 dozen classes in the school of business in my degree program anyways. I should of looked into a minor. I probably only lacked 3-6 hours from getting a minor. I would recommend the Hort Major because if you do decide to work for a municipality, golf course, sports field or maybe a large landscaping company. They would consider you with the Hort major. If you are going to strictly be an entrepreneur, doesn't really matter all that much. I will say that I graduated with 12 other Hort majors the semester I graduated... All of us had jobs lined up to go to on Monday after we walked the stage on Saturday. A few of us had already started. I know of quite a few business majors that are still waiting on their break into the entry level positions of their desired careers. Business degrees are valuable, but in a soft economy those jobs are hard to come by if you do have to look for employment somewhere other than yourself. Hort majors are in high demand.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

However, unless you're working as a high level executive for a decent sized landscape company (ops executive, etc) the job you'll get with a hort degree isnt very high paying. Now, starting a business, the possibilities are endless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
However, unless you're working as a high level executive for a decent sized landscape company (ops executive, etc) the job you'll get with a hort degree isnt very high paying. Now, starting a business, the possibilities are endless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most definitely. Not any money to speak of in large organizations unless you get your LA. Decent money in golf course. Going to have to pay your dues, but there will be a good return on that job. 80% of my class went golf course.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah you can make a decent living as a Superintendent. But I dont want a job. That's how my school is. Not too many landscape guys, mostly golf course/turf, a couple (large & not attractive girls) for greenhouse management, and one guy wants for grounds maintenance. For landscape there are about 10 of us. I don't know most as they're first year students, the ones I know, 2 guys own a partnership company but basically mow, its pretty much a front for their dope selling 1 works for his dads solo op and I honestly don't see him going off and starting his own, 1 (who I am rly good friends with) started a company this fall, we teamed up on a couple installs (patio, retaining wall w/ stairs & a 3500 sq ft rock removal & install black dirt & seed) and he did a good amt of clean ups, he has similar goals that I have and works for his dad's $1.2 million primarily maintenance & snow company as a guaranteed paycheck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah you can make a decent living as a Superintendent. But I dont want a job. That's how my school is. Not too many landscape guys, mostly golf course/turf, a couple (large & not attractive girls) for greenhouse management, and one guy wants for grounds maintenance. For landscape there are about 10 of us. I don't know most as they're first year students, the ones I know, 2 guys own a partnership company but basically mow, its pretty much a front for their dope selling 1 works for his dads solo op and I honestly don't see him going off and starting his own, 1 (who I am rly good friends with) started a company this fall, we teamed up on a couple installs (patio, retaining wall w/ stairs & a 3500 sq ft rock removal & install black dirt & seed) and he did a good amt of clean ups, he has similar goals that I have and works for his dad's $1.2 million primarily maintenance & snow company as a guaranteed paycheck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Certainly pros and cons of every avenue you take.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started another one today.

Just finished writing another proposal. Figured I would update before bed. Here are a couple of shots of the before pictures on the beds we will be installing across the front of this house. House was completed in 2012 and are now landscaping. No landscaping in the back for now. Un-fortunately we hadn't met this customer before they irrigated. Sprinklers are already in place. Suprisingly, we didn't have to do very much moving around of heads to get adequate water on what will be going in. Kind of excited about this one. Customer wanted to pay homage to the Texas hillcountry a bit with their plant material and home layout. We will be using a few different materials that are used a whole lot in our area. Excited to see the results.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks like a fun project. I have yet to have a client want any designs, but I love taking a blank unlandscaped house.(or a crappy existing) and creating a masterpiece.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That looks like a fun project. I have yet to have a client want any designs, but I love taking a blank unlandscaped house.(or a crappy existing) and creating a masterpiece.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think I have had a customer specifically ask for a plan, but I know of 5 jobs we have gotten over the competition because of our design process.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hill Country Job

I know there is nothing that I can install in East Texas that can actually fill the bill to a tee of a hill country landscape, but we are going to give it a shot. Please note, I am not using any Austin stone in this job, as it stains a rust red with our soils in east texas. Not a good choice. I am going to refer to this one as the "Hill Country" job from here on out. Here's a few pictures from today. Sod stripped off, edges cut, compost tilled in. Installing Flex Edge tomorrow. Will do a most of the plantings on Friday. There will probably be a few Perennials that we might have to wait a few weeks for availability.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like a fun project. I like your lines, curves are nice and flowing with a nice look and easy to mow around. I also like the way the house is laid out with some nice soild walls that are in line of sight where you can put some plant height if you want to.

I look forward to the finished pictures.