Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If their budget would allow water on the right side of the porch would be great. I love how these change color but was not too impressed with the pots in daytime. http://www.atlanticwatergardens.com/#&panel1-1
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
If their budget would allow water on the right side of the porch would be great. I love how these change color but was not too impressed with the pots in daytime. http://www.atlanticwatergardens.com/#&panel1-1
Funny you should mention water... Observe the attached prints I drew up.

You're right about them looking cool at night. I am with you about them not looking so hot during the daytime. I was blown away by their prices on their website. The price on the basin and pump was astronomical. We will be putting in a pottery water feature with basin and river rock. Stay tuned. It shouldn't look too bad at night either.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dyke20.pdf (556.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Looks like a fun project. I like your lines, curves are nice and flowing with a nice look and easy to mow around. I also like the way the house is laid out with some nice soild walls that are in line of sight where you can put some plant height if you want to.

I look forward to the finished pictures.
Yes, I am excited about this one too. I am a little hesitant to go too crazy with much height by on the gables because of the windows & (i guess you call them) dormers over each window. Didn't want to cover up that feature on the house. Also, homeowner was not about the landscape being very formal looking. We did make a little change today to utilize some leftover stone from the house today. Tomorrow planting and finishing up another landscape we have been rained off of for several weeks. Have only had to wait on building a bench, but have had to wait on the area to dry out so we can work there.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Please do not think I am being critical of your plans, because I am not, but I do have a few questions. I do not know about your area but most of the plant material you are using in my area would be dormant in my area for several months. Are you going to have anything besides the Red Yucca that will have color during the winter? I was also wondering, unless it is for budget, but why use a 15 gallon Vitex when they grow so fast and only use 5 gallon Elm and Oak trees?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I was also wondering, unless it is for budget, but why use a 15 gallon Vitex when they grow so fast and only use 5 gallon Elm and Oak trees?
I second this. I'd get 15 gallon trees and maybe a couple 5 gallon or smaller vitex. That stuff is invasive and grows like crazy. I have a hedge row of it. Also, don't know what variety you are getting, but it does get height to it over time.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Come to think of it, I was in your area for a couple of years many moons ago. Around 1971 I was in Naples for 1st grade and then in Mt Pleasant for 2nd grade. I remember that Naples was a big bunch of nothing at that time, might still be, but Mt Pleasant was fun for a kid and his bike. I think Mt Pleasant has grown quite a bit since back when I remember it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Please do not think I am being critical of your plans, because I am not, but I do have a few questions. I do not know about your area but most of the plant material you are using in my area would be dormant in my area for several months. Are you going to have anything besides the Red Yucca that will have color during the winter? I was also wondering, unless it is for budget, but why use a 15 gallon Vitex when they grow so fast and only use 5 gallon Elm and Oak trees?
Sorry for the confusion. The trees we are installing are 30 gallon trees. It was an error I had in the drawing end of it. Estimate and invoice reflects 30 gallon size trees. 5 gal is the default and I overlooked it until after I printed plans.. During consult explained that was my error and showed on estimate where they are 30's. If you have used pcs before, you'll probably note that the plant size is a drop down easily overlooked at 11 o clock at night. What can I say... It happens. I always explain drawings are representations and accurate sizing is per estimate. I.e. annuals are usually drawn by the "ea" size and I really just estimate in number of flats.

As far as the dormancy, that was a concern on this project, mentioned that to the customer that it will pretty lifeless during winter months. She wanted to stay away from traditional ahrubs; hollies, roses, boxwoods etc...Yuccas will be in pots. Possibly place for pansies around it. In pots. Also no nandinas. Not a big fan of nandinas either, but they do give some good winter color.

The dormancy issue is the price of having the unique landscape. She was wanting a natural look with no shrubberies. (Took some convincing for the cotoneasters.) There are quite a few places we could incorporate pansies. Would of liked to incorporate more Texas sage, but I wanted to test the waters with this one in our acidic soil. Lots of them take on an unsavory look in east Texas. Didn't want to have to take a fall on a bunch of cruddy looking Texas sages.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Come to think of it, I was in your area for a couple of years many moons ago. Around 1971 I was in Naples for 1st grade and then in Mt Pleasant for 2nd grade. I remember that Naples was a big bunch of nothing at that time, might still be, but Mt Pleasant was fun for a kid and his bike. I think Mt Pleasant has grown quite a bit since back when I remember it.
Naples is still Naples. Mt. Pleasant has exploded since you've been here. There is a steady growth right now too. They are currently building a pretty substantial loop around it. Will be great when finished.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
I second this. I'd get 15 gallon trees and maybe a couple 5 gallon or smaller vitex. That stuff is invasive and grows like crazy. I have a hedge row of it. Also, don't know what variety you are getting, but it does get height to it over time.
Left the vitex quite a bit of space. Will have to be trimmed occasionally. But has plenty of space to be big. Probably has a space 15-20' in diameter for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may still try and incorporate some rosemary for some evergreen color, but they are pretty invasive as well.
Posted via Mobile Device