Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleanup & Planters

Sorry, failed to get any before pictures on this job. We removed everything but the ivy in this job and placed some pots with various annuals. What y'all think? Needs some trimming & edging but customer really likes the ivy.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Truck (New to me)

Picked this guy up the other day. 12 years old. 7.3L Diesel (pre-emissions, yes please) Only 83,000 miles. Get to know a dealer well, do good work for him at a reasonable price. Tell him what you want and just wait. I think it worked out pretty good. New B&W hitch in back, little touch up paint on some door dings and ready to roll.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, what a great truck! How much did it cost it you don't mind telling?

Good job on the cleanup. The ivy looks like crap on that house to me, but if the check clears and the customer is happy that's all that matters....
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Wow, what a great truck! How much did it cost it you don't mind telling?

Good job on the cleanup. The ivy looks like crap on that house to me, but if the check clears and the customer is happy that's all that matters....
Thanks. Gave arround 12.5k for the truck.

Not much of a fan of the ivy either. I would of been tearing it out with everything else, if it were me. Have to say that is the first time I have ever purchased english ivy at a nursery (to fill back in some of what had been removed) in 9 years of my career. Probably not the last, but certainly don't want to make it a regular.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty good deal on that 7.3. Too bad it's 2 wheel drive though!

I notice you brought in 14 yards of compost to one job, you must get that material for a decent price down there for that? Most people around here (that I've worked with so far) aren't willing to pay the extra cost to remove the existing soil & haul in new compost type soil but the growing conditions are much better for plants.

I also really like the idea of your picture on the post card as well as something about having a degree in horticulture. My post cards next year will certainly have a picture of myself as well as something to do with stating I have a degree in horticulture because I will have graduated.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Pretty good deal on that 7.3. Too bad it's 2 wheel drive though!

I notice you brought in 14 yards of compost to one job, you must get that material for a decent price down there for that? Most people around here (that I've worked with so far) aren't willing to pay the extra cost to remove the existing soil & haul in new compost type soil but the growing conditions are much better for plants.

I also really like the idea of your picture on the post card as well as something about having a degree in horticulture. My post cards next year will certainly have a picture of myself as well as something to do with stating I have a degree in horticulture because I will have graduated.
Thanks! Not too worried about the 2WD. My truck will be 4wd whenever I replace mine, but so far haven't needed to landscape in a muddy swamp yet. For pulling mowers and materials I have been thoroughly pleased with it.

As far as the compost, I agree, it is rare that a customer is willing to go to the expense of such an extreme excavation. This customer was willing to do so since they were very upset that the last one was done half way. They would of rather the guy admit he didn't know what he was doing when he bid the job and ask for more money than 1/2 way do it and then have to hire me to come in and fix it. (I wasn't in business at the time otherwise would of had the job from the get go.)

I do have a good bulk supplier, probably no better than yours, but the customer had place for the excavated dirt to go on site. That saved a good bit of expense right there.

Good luck with your last few semesters of school. I have no regrets of going to college. It has gotten me a lot of notoriety and publicity in regards to new jobs.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Wish I could take some credit for the ads. My wife is a marketing guru and photoshop wiz. Will pass the compliment.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Thanks! Not too worried about the 2WD. My truck will be 4wd whenever I replace mine, but so far haven't needed to landscape in a muddy swamp yet. For pulling mowers and materials I have been thoroughly pleased with it.

As far as the compost, I agree, it is rare that a customer is willing to go to the expense of such an extreme excavation. This customer was willing to do so since they were very upset that the last one was done half way. They would of rather the guy admit he didn't know what he was doing when he bid the job and ask for more money than 1/2 way do it and then have to hire me to come in and fix it. (I wasn't in business at the time otherwise would of had the job from the get go.)

I do have a good bulk supplier, probably no better than yours, but the customer had place for the excavated dirt to go on site. That saved a good bit of expense right there.

Good luck with your last few semesters of school. I have no regrets of going to college. It has gotten me a lot of notoriety and publicity in regards to new jobs.

And I don't think you will be dealing with plowing anytime soon either

A buddy of mine I go to school with started his own company a month ago (worked for his dad's large, $1.2 million lawn company for the past few years and wanted to start off on his own). He got 500 or 1000 flyers printed and had a short bio paragraph that went into detail about him being a younger guy (same age as me, 21) and I told him to take it out as in my eyes I think people would belittle you and think you'll work for $10/hour if you have that on a piece of advertising media. He had his 16 yr old girl neighbor drive around handing them out and got 500 out just putting them into newspaper boxes, got 10 calls and closed 8 of 10 jobs. Mostly fall clean ups, one decent retaining wall, and all priced accordingly as he ran his numbers by our teacher who owns a very profitable high end install company. Another one being a large patio & retaining wall w/ stairs project that him & I teamed up on and we just wrapped up last week. It's a good thing he didn't listen to me

Thanks, I have one semester after this sem and it's only 2 classes, I'm adding on a few accounting classes as well, I'm thinking about pursuing a degree in that but I'm not sure. I need to buy a house of my own with some land, my parents aren't exactly happy with my equipment taking up room. But it'll be so weird being done with school. I'm only 21, so it has basically half of my entire life.
I've had some people question me as to why I went to school for hort/landscape and I explain my reasons and plans, usually I have their heads spinning with what my aspirations are.
I'd say 95% of the guys in the industry don't have a formal education in hort/landscape and of that 95% probably 70% are clueless when it comes to plants, trees, and hardscapes, not to mention the accounting, finance, investing, & business side of things. I took those classes when I was at UND right after high school in fall 09 through fall 2010, that helped me out a lot.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forget that you guys up north use the 4wd for plows. Usually, only reason a guy in the south gets it is because it looks cooler. Or maybe because he's going to hunt and fish out it... Which don't get me wrong, will prob happen out of mine as well. 4wd just normally gets me deeper into what ever mess it should "get me out of." 2wd I just know to stay out.

I don't know about the 70% deal. There are a lot of guys that do very well without. You can learn everything that I learned in my Hort classes in the workplace. But comming from small town east Texas, I probably wouldn't of learned it if I wouldn't of gone to college.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been a while... But here's some recent pictures.

Been a while. Been busy, but here's some recent pictures. One of which is back from the summer.
Attached Images