The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No handgun?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a blue can and filled it with kerosene. they took it and used it. kid down the street, his car sat in his drive all summer. I say I am money ahead. I never told him to put it in his car, it was kerosene. they had to clean out all of the kerosene from the car and the boy had to tell his dad why there was kerosene in the tank. lol
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
No handgun?
Posted via Mobile Device
I promise had they heard "pop..pop...pop pop pop" he would still have his hedge trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshome View Post
I write my name on everything. It helps a little
Mine have the name "Stihl" on them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's been 2 weeks & no takers of my water/gas blend & I need to use the can. Recently installed security cameras & was hoping to spot them taking it. Sam's Club Samsung was $499 for 4 cameras & hard-drive then $170 for a 29" tv.
A camera system is so handy. I heard a knock on the door at 4:40 a.m. Sunday but by the time I was dressed & hesitantly made my way there the knocker was gone. I reviewed the previous 15 minutes to see that it was the neighbor lady that has dementia. Called her to check in. Was nice to remove any anxiety from my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Actually...
Just between us, dumping diesel in a tank destined for a gasoline engine does little real harm, it likely won't run real smooth and it will smell a bit odd and it may even not run at all but the diesel does no permanent mechanical damage to a gasoline engine.

Diesel is basically very low octane gasoline.
No, a gasoline engine can't and won't run on straight diesel.
But the oily fuel does no actual harm to the engine.
All right, it might foul a plug or three.

It can appear to the inexperienced driver that serious harm has occured.
But it has not.
The inexperienced driver may end up with a large repair bill, too.
But that is nobody's fault but theirs.

If a gasoline tank is full of diesel, draining it is the only option.
It's not hard to do, annoying, time consuming, but not hard.
If they didn't put that much in, adding super unleaded to the F mark fixes it.

So, mixing diesel where there should be gasoline, good for some laughs, no harm done.

Now, putting gasoline through a diesel engine is a different story.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Had 10 gal of gas stolen out of the bed of my truck. I wish it was diesel they stole & dumped in their vehicle. Was thinkin abt putting another 5 gal can in truck with 4.75 gal water & abt .25 gal of gas to float on water or maybe a gas/sugar mix. Or is there a stupid law that would make this illegal for me to do. IE...thief comes back & sues me for damages to vehicle from putting stolen/unknown fluid from my fuel can in their tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Never mix water and gas. Use SUGAR instead. Water will greatly reduce the damages done and consequently, repair costs. Sugar (one cup of granulated white sugar per 5 gallons (19 litres)) should ensure a repair bill in excess of $2,000 for mid size cars. You might as well go for 2 or 3 cups of sugar since this 5 gal will likely be diluted in a 20 gal tank.

The damage done will be gradual over time and at one point, the engine will turn off while the car is being used. Water in the tank would likely act very quickly (minutes or seconds) and most likely will prevent the car from going anywhere.

Sugar is a LOT more fun...

Last edited by Pierre2013; 06-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What does the sugar actually do? Clog the filter or...?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
What does the sugar actually do? Clog the filter or...?
In a car, you will end up with 'sugar-coated fuel injectors"

After adding (sufficient) sugar to the gas tank of a car, the fuel injectors will be gradually covered with a thick and very hard layer of crap. One might be able to use the car for days before the engine goes dead. So one could be driving at 70mph on a highway, leaving a parking spot, or passing another vehicle in heavy traffic and bang! No more engine power, no more power steering and no more power brakes. The engine will shut down as the fuel injectors will be 100% clogged preventing gas to reach the engine.

Proper repairs usually means a new gas tank, as well as everything between the tank up to and including the fuel injectors.

Btw, after further consideration, one cup might be enough. Make sure it is completely diluted within the gas container.

P.S. That's why I always have gas caps requiring a key...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell you that if you ever fill your tank at a gas station and get "mostly water", you will not get more than about 50' away from the pump.

Happened to me years ago. There was a terrible storm and apparently the ground tank cap was either missing, or cracked and their underground storage tank took on a lot of water.

I had the car towed to the garage and they said "We found your problem - the gas tank is filled with water!"

I called the gas station and without any hesitation they said, "Bring us the repair bill and we will reimburse you - this happened to several people."
I did, and they counted out several hundred dollars in cash without question, and with a sincere apology.

I haven't left a gas station without a receipt once since the day that happened just in case I ever need to prove a case of having purchased "bad gas".