Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

new scag pro v

looking at buying scag pro v , 17 hp , velocity plus 48, 5200 out the door with scag sulky. Anybody use this mower and have any opinions.? I took it out for two days and loved how it handled. any thoughts. Dealer will not go any lower.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use stand on mowers, but I do use Scag. The Velocity deck is excellent, leaves a beautiful cut in all types of grass. Scag quality is tops and I recommend them.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We got one and put 300hrs on it so far this year. We really like small foot print and the crew chief really really likes it compared to the 36" Wright stander. The idea that you can go around and inspect the property quicklly is nice and oh the cut is good. We put full mulch kit on and it does great.
Had one service call with leaky hydro connections but that is an ongoing thingee on these unit.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pro V is the walk behind correct ? I remember reading that they were going to upgrade the controls or something to that effect. If they are moving old stock then they might come down for you.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I likey me a pro-v

I recently just purchased the exact Pro-V you're lookin at with the KAW 17, 48 in" deck from my local dealer for $4,000 (150+/- taxes). This was their demo model so there was about 45 hrs on the meter but in complete working order, just had some signs of visual wear. It also came with the full 2 yr comm warranty which was a big selling point for me versus buying brand new. Scag has that promo going on for the Pro-V 48" for 4,700 I believe, so when you factor in taxes and the 250-400 cost of the scag sulky, $5200 seems to be pretty accurate dealer pricing. My dealer wanted me to pay 400 for the scag sulky so I passed and figured I would buy it used somewhere since it wasn't a necessity at the moment. Unless you actually know you'll be running your mower at top speed, I would hold off and go with the Hurricane mulch kit. Although I have yet to install mine, everything I've read or people I've talked to say the mulch kit can really make a difference, even though the scag stock cuts beautifully.

I love the steering on the pro-v versus the pistol grips, and I know there are also others that can't stand it. But you said you tested it and liked it so if its comfortable for you, why not buy it. Scag is obviously a great manufacturer and the velocity + deck is great, so the only question is whether or not the steering is for you. Good luck
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Junk stay away!!!!! I bought one last fall and I also demoed it for a couple days and thought it was great. After a while the controls get sloppy and the machine doesn't strip worth a crap with the rss scag sulky. I had the same model you are looking at and had the mulching kit as well. It did do a very nice job mulching but I thought the quality of cut was decent at best. I have ran Deere and Exmark walkbehinds prior to this one and I would never never buy another scag. I just feel sorry for the poor guy I sold the pos to!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

You are, of course, always going to find a few people who had a bad experience with a particular mower and dramatically denounce the brand producing it. Scag has made its name producing commercial mowers that are top quality, durable, and cut beautifully. Exmark and Scag dominate commercial mowing in north jersey, and while although JD mowers are great machines, most people aren't willing to throw that extra cash at a dealer to own a mower thats painted green and yellow. Compare similar mowers produced by scag and exmark and you'll find the specs, materials, and productivity to be almost identical, but compare price and you'll find yourself paying a grand+ to own a mower made by exmark. Dollar for dollar you cannot beat what Scag can offer.

If you maintain any of these machines as recommended (blades,grease,etc) they will do their job and cut perfectly.

The controls on the Pro-V, as I said, will either make you love or hate. Most people that have used a certain operation style their whole career will assumably have a hard time becoming accustomed to something completely new or different. If doesn't tickle your pickle then don't play with it.

Can't say much about the Scag Sulky since I've never used it, but I have read it can ruin the stripe being a single wheel, especially with an overweight operator...........
Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not bashing the scag brand what so ever. They make a good mower and I am sure there are people that love the pro v. I was just stating my case as is everyone else. It is no different than you saying Deere is over priced. Not true in my area and actually Deere is very competitive here and usually cost within a few hundred dollars of all the major brands. I am 6'2 and I found the sulky to be to tall so it made me lean over way to much or just use my finger tips when I was running the machine. Also the downfall to that sulky is its pivoting wheel makes turning more difficult but not a big deal once you get used to it. I think with a velke brand sulky I would have been a lot happier but who knows. To each there own. If everyone liked the same thing there would only be one brand. Scag is a good brand I just think there are better choices for a walkbehind than the pro v.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I am not bashing the scag brand what so ever. They make a good mower and I am sure there are people that love the pro v. I was just stating my case as is everyone else. It is no different than you saying Deere is over priced. Not true in my area and actually Deere is very competitive here and usually cost within a few hundred dollars of all the major brands. I am 6'2 and I found the sulky to be to tall so it made me lean over way to much or just use my finger tips when I was running the machine. Also the downfall to that sulky is its pivoting wheel makes turning more difficult but not a big deal once you get used to it. I think with a velke brand sulky I would have been a lot happier but who knows. To each there own. If everyone liked the same thing there would only be one brand. Scag is a good brand I just think there are better choices for a walkbehind than the pro v.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the controls were designed different it would be a great mower.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

i did test a turf tracer before the pro v. I liked the pro v handling better. I have not had alot of experience with walk behinds so i have no bias torward either control system. I must say it does make you hesitate when a company comes out with a deep discount on a certain model. What is it that wears out with the pro v steering system.? I am an old carwash guy and have bad hands from washing cars, so the pro v was more comfortable. What makes a velky brand different than a scag sulky, is it two wheel or single wheel.? Around me guys are trying to sell 08 brand scag walkbehinds with baggers for 4000. Makes no sense to buy a used mower with 3-400 hrs for that when you can by a new mower with a warranty, and free financing if you want it.