Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper and bagging help...

Ok, I was at my local fair getting some prices and opinions on some mowers. I have a question. I was very impressed with my Dixie Chopper dealer and his support. But when I asked him about bagging he said he doesn't sell one (just chop em up he said lol) for the Dixie but I had to buy one factory direct. I love the Humbolt bagger I have one and think it is by far the best bagger out there. The Toro and eXmark baggers don't do very good in leaves at all. The humbolt is like a Kirby on carpet. To my question, I want to get some feedback on the the cut quality with the Dixie and bagging combination. I bag most of my season, spring and fall. I take them off for a short time in the summer because its pointless for me to bag. I live in NE Ohio by the only an hour from the lake and I get pretty wet conditions. So I want to see how many of you regularly bag with a Dixie and how it does specifically with a Humbolt bagger. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You wont find alot of guys bagging with Dixie's as they are well suited for open discharge mowing. Ive seen a peco vac set up on a XT. I had a Flatlander with the two bag unit that dixie used to make. It was very solid however the blower was really heavy and a pain to mount up. Other then that it was pretty good. I liked the mower.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

That's the realization I'm coming to, but don't want to because I was really impressed with the Dixie. I hadn't been a fan of the mower until I really looked it over. My problem is my business is 90% bagging and 10% open mowing, and I need a really good bagging mower.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidslawncare View Post
That's the realization I'm coming to, but don't want to because I was really impressed with the Dixie. I hadn't been a fan of the mower until I really looked it over. My problem is my business is 90% bagging and 10% open mowing, and I need a really good bagging mower.
90% bagging and you have a DC with a after market bagger?
Scags bag very good. They have their own system that works great.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a DC but have not bag with it since I bought it in 2006.

Good mower but if you need bagger why not look at the walker with the lift dump ?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper's giant sized discharge doesn't really lend it's self well to bagging. The discharge blade is also set in about 4 to 5 inches from the edge of the deck and it makes for some really lazy air there. There have been several users here at Lawnsite that have tried powered baggers in the past and it just didn't work out for them. Cut a few inches off of the discharge and it should work fine.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More interested in leaf mulching arrangements myself
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a dixie chopper for 12 years, one of the best mowers i have ever owned for flat out cutting. I had a trac vac on it and it worked, but...

I now own several John deere z's. They are by far the best bagging mower I have owned or used in my 30 years of mowing. I downsized my bagging machines to a 54" deck because I felt that a 60" was too much deck for any collection system to handle volume wise. It was a very good choice on my part because I am seeing far better results in both productivity and quality of cut. BTW I also have the mulch on demand deck on another J.D. and again, it also is one of the best cutting/ mulching mowers I have used.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidslawncare View Post

Im in the same spot as you. Take a look at Grasshopper mowers. They have a great blower and the front mounts have a 25 (cu ft or bushel cant remember) hopper that holds alot. Something to think about.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok for me Walker and grasshopper are out because the dealers in my area are pathetic :-). I have a gravely and a toro and my gravely walks circles around the toro as far as bagging. But my gravely dealer sold out to a new owner and they don't pay any attention to lawn business owners. But based on what I am hearing from others here Dixie is probably out fore as well :-(

Does anyone here know of someone who actually uses the humbolt with the chopper? I'd like some feedback on that
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
bagger , bagging , chopper , dixie , humbolt