Register free!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's on your Christmas list?

I'm asking for some new embroidered polo shirts, embroidered hats, and a replacement Irritool from Santa. I'll be shopping for a TDR and a RM if it looks like I'm in the black this year.
How about you? What gadgets are on your list this year?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttering Stan View Post
I'm asking for some new embroidered polo shirts, embroidered hats, and a replacement Irritool from Santa. I'll be shopping for a TDR and a RM if it looks like I'm in the black this year.
How about you? What gadgets are on your list this year?
sent you a pm, forgot my email address, sending another
Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TDR, new 410, new truck, trailer, golf cart, service tech, crew leader, laptop, and whole lot more, but those are the big things.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Master, maybe a TRC for the RB ESP (since that is probably 75% of what we see), mapping option for my QXpress software, an office assistant, and this lamp........

oh, and a new side mirror that I broke today backing out of the garage.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dana, the office assistant is a great idea. Early 20's, 100lbs, blond/ brunette,.........I see the need.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Dana, the office assistant is a great idea. Early 20's, 100lbs, blond/ brunette,.........I see the need.
Never hire a office gal who's name is "bubbles". I tried that once,failed miserably, too much distraction to the crew (and me). If you get office help, she should look like your librarian in high school.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am going to try and take more of a backseat approach this year, get out of the field and the office more, and spend more time on the backpack company. I'm going to also hire another tech, and give my two main guys more responsibility. This way I can travel to some trade shows, and actually get on the damn trail to do some hiking. I won't make as much money, but I don't want to be a full time hands on owner anymore.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I am going to try and take more of a backseat approach this year, get out of the field and the office more, and spend more time on the backpack company. I'm going to also hire another tech, and give my two main guys more responsibility. This way I can travel to some trade shows, and actually get on the damn trail to do some hiking. I won't make as much money, but I don't want to be a full time hands on owner anymore.
Gee, how many years have we heard that dream from Danaman? What you need is someone to run the show, and, as a contractor friend once said, "smart, but not as smart as you are."
Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an idea or two. We'll see how it plays out. And if I can't find another tech and an office person, I am scaling way back so that I personally am in the field maybe 2-4 busy weeks in the spring, and 2-3 busy weeks in the fall. I can set up QB and QX online so that my guys can enter the data for the sales, and see and edit schedules themselves. I can also have them split time doing the office work. If they don't like that, they can look for other work, as I close up shop
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why the flying fu*k an owner needs to be in the field except to schmooze with the clients' pretty wife and kick the employee's butts occasionally (o.k., all the time), is beyond me. There is a way to do it; if I could, anyone can. I'll have a seminar at I.A. west, hosted by Mr. Matt, that you should attend. Copious beer is the entry fee.